• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Tell me about Freeze dried Chilies.

$3.000 to start with a Harvest fresh Home freeze/Dryer unit Med size.
At this time all I know is I like the Freeze dried Strawberries I have on my morning cereal.

What can I do with freeze dried peppers Hot & sweet?
Can you add hot FD cherry pepper slices to oil? FD Jalapeños to sauces?

What do you use you FD Chilis for?

I actually like dehydrated flavor better. Slightly cooked and some water retention. I like my mangoes dehydrated, the freeze dried not so much. And most people (with thick flesh peppers) prefer the concentrated flavor of dehydration with the slight moisture retention. For powder I can see it being pretty cool though. Especially if you are trying to retain the raw flavor.

So yeah powders and snack chips. Not much else. Not gonna get that ancho flavor from freeze frying a poblano. 😛

I would be interested in doing a controlled experiment: dry both ways and make stuff with each.

But not interested enough to buy a freeze drier.

It's good to preserve peppers for sauce since you are preserving the raw properties. And you don't take up freezer space. So there's another use.

Thinking of fd v dehyd....
Both are a dessicated form of the product. FD is usually credited with more nutrients. Both can be eaten their dried form.

Regarding peppers...i dont see eating dried or FD peppers straight. So the uses seem to be...
Powdered
Flaked
Make sauces
Chunked in oil ( dont use fresh peppers in oil, risk of botilism. There are some recipes on extension service sites, follow exactly)

I can see advantages for FD fruits and some other items like honey and eggs. The above listed uses can be accomplished with dehyd peppers....without the 3k freeze dryer.

Jmho. 🤷
SL

Regarding peppers...i dont see eating dried or FD peppers straight.
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just an impression about the food & what it tastes like from U Toob.

I see reasons to want your food you grow to stretch farther into the future.
However & this is the biggie. How does it taste when your ready to eat it??

To keep it short.
I think all this FD food may have a lot of goodness, however your just need to
powder it all cap it & swallow. Rehydrating the different foods looks painful
and complex. A 3 year old steak rehydrated was brown & tough, they believe
if you cook it first then FD. YADA YADA ZIP.

We have a ton of Canning jars, a big dehydrator 3 freezers, & that 3K will be better spent on something else.

Thanks for the comments, every now and again we must explore new was of doing things. And realize once again.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. :doh:

I'm here to find out if I can make hot sauce on demand with freeze dried peppers.
We've had a FD for about 8 months. We just finished our 100th run. A major investment for us but already worth it.

But pepper season was over when we got it. Now I'm about to get an avalanche of cayennes. I normally ferment them and make sauce. But the stuff I made a year ago no longer tastes good. So I'm wondering if anyone has rehydrated FD peppers and immediately use them to make sauce.

Back