Tell me if I'm crazy.

Last year I had some over watering problems , I'm about to replant into 5 gallon bags. I had an Idea from work 'Bio balls"  99 cent store hair rollers I was thinking of mixing in a few into each bag to provide some extra 02 in time of need. I noticed last year that the top half of my soil would dry out but bottom half stayed soaked. Any reason why this wouldn't work?  

What kind of 5 gal bag?

If you're thinking of woven Wally/grow bags, they breathe so well that soggy bottoms are not a major concern, particularly if the bottom surface can get some air.  Of course this assumes you have reasonably 'fluffy' soil. If your dirt is too dense, mix in some peat.

What you are thinking about is along the lines of a sub irrigated planter , where the space at the bottom serves as both a air and water reservoir , and the excess water is away from the roots , but can return to the soil.
I would rather place a half gallon plastic bottle with holes in the bottom.

I would agree with others that the mix is the problem. If your top layer is drying out, and you're using an "airy" container, the simple fix is to top dress with an inch or so of compost. If your soil is so unevenly wet that it affects the plant, it's time to reformulate...

Back