• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Temperamental species

I'm growing a lot of species that I've never grown before this season and I'm starting to notice species definitely take a bit more TLC that others. This definitely makes sense since all species come from completely different climates and geographical regions. For example, I'm experiencing what I believe is an iron deficiency due to high pH in some of my plants. Some are doing fine while others are exhibiting foliar symptoms. My thinking is there are some species that are used to growing in lower pH, poor nutrient environments. Has anyone else noticed this?

yes you 100% mainly when it comes to wild pepper its pain to get them to grow right and almost impossible to get them to flower or set pods.

I agree. Alot of the wild peppers live in small micro places in the world (an example the Galapagos Islands) that they require special needs. I try to research where a plant comes from, its climate and soil requirements when dealing with a wild species. I believe wild species are harder to raise but well worth the effort.

Wait until you grow Rocoto's. Them bad boys are SOOO picky when it comes to how much sunlight the do, and don't, need. By the time I could get mine to start podding up, it got too late for them to ripen before the frost came.
JAG...if you are having a problem with them germinating, wait until you see how long they take to set pods, then ripen. They will probably be your very last plant to do so. I still think they are cool looking plants!

Yeah last year had 300+ pods between the 2 I started from seed in the garden. Got 2 That ripened before the cold killed them. If none germ before plantout they will get no space in my garden this year.

Last year was my first year with chiltepin. Like the Pooper said, they take forever to ripen but it is SOOOOOO worth the reward. Here's a picture from one of my chiltepins from last season. I think I took this photo in November when I needed to move the plant inside finally.

The picture is a bit crappy (damn camera phones) but you can see how many pods there are.
1019101917.jpg

When I last grew them over here in the UK, they got very tall, hardly any fruit, but I was able to keep a plant through the winter in the house, next year it did fruit pretty well.
Rocoto's, as you can tell by my user name I love them, and the do real well for me here in the UK.
Planning on launching a smoked rocoto sauce this autumn/fall

Love those little pods-they taste so good!
The first time that I tried chiltepin's I was showing off, grabbed a hand full like M&M peanuts and started munching! I was good for the first 7 seconds didn't seem that hot.:mouthonfire:

Ya go head and laugh, I wasn't! ......first I thought I was gonna die, then I was afraid I wasn't! .......Had a lot more respect for them after that.:crazy:

Yeah last year had 300+ pods between the 2 I started from seed in the garden. Got 2 That ripened before the cold killed them. If none germ before plantout they will get no space in my garden this year.

Exact same thing happened to me two years in a row - fruit up but whacked by frost b4 ripening. I really like rocotos but I'm done trying to grow them. Didn't even germ any seeds; just gave them away. :tear:

Ok, back on subject. Has anyone found their Baccatums being fussy to germinate? I've had some Aji Cristal and Lemons in a tray and not a one has popped.

Back