• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Temperature issues

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could tell me what to do, its my first year growing chillies and have had all of my plants produce fruit apart from one. I have a Bhut Jolokia which is just starting to produce flower pods but the days are getting shorter and the nights colder and was wondering if that would impact the chances of getting anything from the plant? I dont have a greenhouse but they have been growing under a sheltered roof that has opaque PVC roofing which helps diffuse the sunlight and protects from the harsher elements.
Are there any ideas of what I could do, or even if theres anything I actually need to do?!

Thanks,
- Leo.

A bhut jolokia is probably not going to produce much of anything at all anymore this late in the year (northern hemisphere). You could attempt to let it set fruits outside then move it inside under lamps.

Leo_Rossini27 said:
I have a Bhut Jolokia which is just starting to produce flower pods but the days are getting shorter and the nights colder and was wondering if that would impact the chances of getting anything from the plant?
Powelly said:
As long as they don't freeze you'll be ok. The sunlight would be more of an issue

I believe your weather quite a bit warmer than the UK Powelly?  Along with reduced sunshine my experience has been the lower daytime/night time temps would slow the ripening process. OP's concern is getting ripe peppers before his"winter" sets in.

Your thoughts?

Edit @ 9:05: We were both typing rely at the same time!

Thanks guys for the info, Ive made some room in the guest room and moved it indoors and put it in front of a east/ south facing window. The room gets quite warm so hopefully that will help a little. Hopefully there will be a few more days of sunshine! Ill definitely start propagating earlier next year for the super hots.

-Leo.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I believe your weather quite a bit warmer than the UK Powelly?  Along with reduced sunshine my experience has been the lower daytime/night time temps would slow the ripening process. OP's concern is getting ripe peppers before his"winter" sets in.

Your thoughts?

Edit @ 9:05: We were both typing rely at the same time!

I used to live in the UK but never grew peppers there, ever!

We get temperatures at night that hit zero, however days rarely dip below 8 (celsius). I think they will ripen if you leave them on the plant personally, as long as they get decent light and you don't let them freeze.

If you put your pepper plants on a gradient, that also magnifies the amount of sunlight they receive. I have no idea how this works, because surely the same light hits the plant no matter what angle the soil is at - however I'm assured that this does make a huge difference

Back