Temporary Food Vendor Permits

I vend at approx 25-30 events a year.

With the bigger events, more often than not, they either have blanket coverage for the food vendors in which I don't have any extra work to do nor extra expense on my behalf.  Some of the events are smaller and fall under the radar of the local health department.

I am all about being on the up and up and following the rules. I'm curious as a vendor, should during the event registration process, there be no mention about needing a temporary food permit/certificate, how pro-active do you become?
Do you reach out to the event organizer and ask them what is required of you?
Do you call the local health department and do the same?
Or do you 'play dumb' (and I mean that in a nice way, haha) and just assume it's been 'taken care of' and hope for the best?

Again, I'm not looking for validation to break the rules. I take this stuff seriously. I recently came across a small school holiday fair. 5 hours for $30 bux...No idea what to expect attendance wise. Could be empty, could be a cash cow based on the time of year and people shopping for gifts. I was told to contact the local health department and the town wanted $140 for a one day TVP.  all of a sudden this little 30 event is now $170 for the same 5 hours....Again, rules are rules, but that suddenly made the event not as appealing. Without any previous knowledge of how well attended this event might be, I backed out. Couldn't chance it.

I do deal with a lot of health departments. There are some that offer the permits for free after filling out an application. Most are in the 35-75 dollar range. I think it is all a cash grab from the towns. 

Just curious to everyone's thoughts...I know the correct answer and the proper thing to do for everyone's own business sake,.just curious to see what ya'll think....

I'm in Canada so it might be slightly different, but likely much the same.

I always get the temporary food vendor permit. In most cities here, it is free, the odd one does charge though. I have done at least 200+ events over the last 5 years, and it really becomes a pain to have to fill out the forms for every event. I tend to build a relationship with the different inspectors in each city and they usually let me send them the documents directly through email which makes things easier. I usually spend a day in the spring and fire through 20 or 30 of them and send them out.

I have quite a few times however ran into the issue where the health inspector calls me and says they have no information about the event, and asks me for the organizers contact info. A few times I have then had the organizer call me and ask why I am drawing attention to their event from the health department. Apparently they have other food vendors who do not bother with the proper permits etc. and now all of a sudden the city is asking for them. I just tell them that it is my business, and that it is not just a hobby for me as it likely is for many of their vendors. A citation from the health department does not look good on your record. Only one time did the organizer ask me not to attend the event because of this. This only happens for the smaller events like you are describing (in a school, community centre etc.). Luckily I don't do very many of those anymore, lol.

I agree on all fronts.

I do plenty of shows that would most likely slip under the HD radar, but god forbid they do show up and shut me down while at the show....

Another bid issue that comes up is the old 'Hand Washing station' requirement...

i have never been able to get a straight answer on why a hot sauce vendor serving samples on a cardboard spoon needs one...

'because it says it in the manual' is not a good enough reason i have told many a inspector....and usually when i meet up with them the day of the event, they let it slide when they see how silly it is....perhaps for certain type of food vendors, but not for us....

i pack compactly in my small car..i don't have room for a 5 gallon jug of water.....that ain't helping anyone should they get burned..i should have a 5 gallon jug of milk if anything....lol.

I don't do events or bazaars or fairs. So I cannot speak from first hand experience.

You could probably sell the bottles sauces without a tasting station....But how good would the sales be? Maybe OK around the holidays when people are buying gifts and not tasting for themselves

Tough call.

Re...5 gallon station...There are collapsible plastic camping jugs that can fit into a small car with the story of filling it up at the event.

salsalady said:
I don't do events or bazaars or fairs. So I cannot speak from first hand experience.

You could probably sell the bottles sauces without a tasting station....But how good would the sales be? Maybe OK around the holidays when people are buying gifts and not tasting for themselves

Tough call.

Even if I don't sample, the health department requires the vendor permit cause it is a food item..i can't speak for all 50 states, but of the ones I have vended in (new jersey, new york, and Pennsylvania), that has been my experience...

Interesting. We have people that go to the Christmas bazaar reselling candy popcorn and things. Do any of your events have resellers?

This being our first year in business I have always reached out to the county office in advance of the event. With us providing samples with no chance of contamination such as double dipping, we have not had to file for a permit yet. But I know many states are much more strict than NC. I always err on the side of caution and check in advance. Id hate to get there and set up only to be shut down.

Here in NJ, Ive found that the rules are different from municipality to municipality. Some require them and some dont. The inconsistency makes it a pain to manage so I usually ask the event promoter (when I remember. Lol.) if I need a health permit. Usually the larger events require them while the smaller ones, like farmers markets, Ive never had to get one. Heres an example, this past weekend I vended at my town school craft fair (Clifton, NJ) who didnt require one, while next month I will be at the next town over (Nutley, NJ) who does. Go figure.

Back