• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Tepin and Pequin - Taste

This time its not about the flavor at all.

My question is just to the people who can taste "soapyness" in some chilis.

I tried a "pequin". It had a really good and sweet flavor on one side - on the other side it had a really soapy flavor that ruined the overall taste.

Does "tepin" have the same type of soapy flavor? And is "yellow tepin" the same tastewise?

Hmm, never had that issue with pequins or tepins in any stage of ripeness. Then again the only pepper I've ever had that tasted soapy to me was an aji lemon drop while it was still green, they lose the soapiness when they ripen though.

Was the pequin fully red & ripe when you ate it or was it still green?

to me, they have that cayenne flavour(or should i say annuum flavour), i didn't get the soapyness you describe but it could just be how you are describing it, perhaps i would call it pungent. the pequin had more sweetness than the tepin but perhaps the flavour was able to hang around long enough before the heat kicked in. pequin is not as hot as tepin. tepin has an immediate searing effect and will make you eyes water. the heat goes away rather quickly but there is a moment you wished you never popped that little berry in your mouth.  tepin is very thin skinned and just packed with hard seed, i think my record is 17 seeds in 1 pod.

(I have mexican chiltepin, wild texas tepin and mexican pequin plants)

i haven't tried yellow tepin but do have cumari pollux and it is very similar to tepin. i was conversing with Chiltepines de la Sierra in December about getting their cappacino/red/yellow tepin mix, they sell them as a rainbow pack, all three for $20 USD. 

hope that helps.

TXCG said:
Hmm, never had that issue with pequins or tepins in any stage of ripeness. Then again the only pepper I've ever had that tasted soapy to me was an aji lemon drop while it was still green, they lose the soapiness when they ripen though.

Was the pequin fully red & ripe when you ate it or was it still green?

It was a fully ripe and dried "Pequin from Ischia". So sad, it has a wonderfull smell to it :-/

Burning Colon said:
to me, they have that cayenne flavour(or should i say annuum flavour), i didn't get the soapyness you describe 

Its a really strange thing with that "soapyness". The most people can only taste that in "Chinense", i dont know if much can taste that on "annums".

I love "chinenses", because they have zero "soapyness" to me. I had a very small "anuum" from italy and my brother liked the taste very much. He find it tasted like "strawberrys". I just tasted a bad and nasty "soap" :-(

To me almost all chinenses taste soapy (except bhuts/nagas, brown 7s and some scorpions).
Tepins/pequins taste wonderful, cayenne-like but hotter, deeper, richer and with a smoky undertone (especially the tepins).
You probably sampled a bad one.

Cya

Datil

Thanks for your answeres guys.

I dont think i sampled a bad one, because this "soapy" flavor also appeared on different fresh "anuums" i tasted. But i guess i have to get another fresh or dried "pequin" variety somewhere to test it.

Seems like im the only one who can taste this "soapyness" at "anuums"  -- sometimes you dont want to be something special  :confused: .

Zackorz said:
Thanks for your answeres guys.

I dont think i sampled a bad one, because this "soapy" flavor also appeared on different fresh "anuums" i tasted. But i guess i have to get another fresh or dried "pequin" variety somewhere to test it.

Seems like im the only one who can taste this "soapyness" at "anuums"  -- sometimes you dont want to be something special  :confused: .
do you taste that in jalapeno or serrano peppers as well ?

Back