• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tepin & Chiltepin

Tepins are round and chiltepins are oblong like piquins. So yes theres a difference in the two peppers...

I totally disagree. There are many chiltepin varieties that are round. There are also chiltepins that are a little less round, with a little point. But they aren't bullet shaped like a pequin.

Here is a picture of pequins:
220px-Chile_pequin_fruit_and_flower_closeup.jpg

Here is a picture of chiltepins:
IMG_2931.JPG

Chiltepins on the right, pequins on the left:
8307934069_d42374a799_m.jpg

8307932577_c483bacf9f_m.jpg

Here is some info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....._glabriusculum):

" Common names include chiltepin, chiltepe, and chile tepin, as well as turkey, bird’s eye, or simply bird peppers, due to their consumption and spread by wild birds. Tepin is derived from a Nahuatl word meaning "flea". This variety is the most likely progenitor of the domesticated C. annuum var. annuum.[sup][2][/sup] A cultivar 'Pequin' (also called 'Piquin') has been developed from it."

"Some strains of tepin peppers are much closer to perfectly round when fresh. If a tepin pepper is dried, it appears quite round even if it was slightly ellipsoidal when fresh."

hopefully, new comers will do a forum search on tepin vs chilitepin vs pequin and this post will ring prominently.

T/B pointed it out in his tepin blues, Tim gave a great explanation, then willard completed it with a smash! chiltepin, tepin are the same, chilpequin or pequin are different, i have both growing here in my home and for the record, i prefer chiltepin/tepin over the chilpequin/pequin. i like them both but if i had to choose, i would pick the tepin.

here is my baby dressed up like a christmas tree(the pequins are too weak to dress up):
P1000477.jpg

Thanks Burning Colon and Willard3!

I really have no idea why is still have those pequins. I bought them about two or three years ago, and have never used them because I've used Chiltepins instead. The sack was unopened until I opened it this evening for the picture I posted. So now what do I do with them? I put them in a ziplock baggie, and put them back with the spices. I'm sure I won't use them, as I always have chiltepins around.

Back