• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Tepin Germination - Best Methods?

Hey all,

I've been either having trouble germinating my Tepins, or I'm just being impatient. I've cooked a few, or rotted and I'm not sure what the best methods for germinating them are. I've read a bunch of different ones from scarification to sanding. I haven't tried either of those.

I've tried the paper towel method, only to see them turn brown and appear to die.
I've tried putting them in potting soil under a plastic dome and I believe they rotted.
I currently have them in a Jiffy pellet, with no signs of germinating.

Is there a best method for germinating Tepins, or do you just treat them as any other pepper seed?

Thanks!

I started my pequines just like everything else??? Dunno how much more difficult the tepins are? Are you soaking first? I soak in a weak warm tea for at least 6 hours before planting...

I started my pequines just like everything else??? Dunno how much more difficult the tepins are? Are you soaking first? I soak in a weak warm tea for at least 6 hours before planting...

Yeah, I soaked them in water/pyroxide solution for 24 hours. Maybe wrightdaddy is correct, maybe they are bad seeds. I thought I got them from a reputable place, Tradewindsfruit.

There was one that looked like the casing opened up, but never produced a tap root.

Thanks.

I would put a bunch in a plastic container or baggie with a damp paper towel and try to see what happens...if you get them to start then you can transfer them into the soil. That will let you put quite a few in at once and hopefully something will go for you. Just keep them warm...top of the fridge or under some lights should work.

Thank you for the replies, appreciate it. Here is what I have tried, and the results.

1. I soak them in a hydrogen peroxide/water solution for 24 hours.

2. I have tried three methods at this point.

a. planted in potting soil under plastic dome with heating pad - Results: rotted

b. planted in a Jiffy Peat Pellet under plastic dome with heating pad - Results: rotted

c. placed in tupperware cup with a moist paper towel - Results: rotted.

yea I they popped up pretty fast for me, I got mine from http://www.tomatogro...oductinfo/9800/

I have 3 that are with the larger group of 14 that I planted a little earlier, and I think I have 3-4 that are with all the others I planted a few weeks after the first ones.. all doing great.. the first set I only soaked for 2 hours or so.. and the 2nd set I soaked for 24hours.. they both came up the same for the most part

it also sounds like you must be keeping them way too wet.. which is kind of strange because even when I put my seeds in, I really soak them, but when I do that, I have the dome off the top so that it will dry out better.. I have noticed that the Jiffy Pellets are good if you have them around, but watering them and keeping them at the right moisture is a pain.. with the lid on, it usually stays too wet, unless I really water it lightly (but when you first soak them they are too wet already to just put the hood on.. so I will let them dry out a little for a day or 2, then once they are drier, I will either water them lightly just to let the water soak 1/2 way up the pellet and then put the lid back on, or if they are still pretty damp, then I just put the hood back on.. I think it is easier to just soak them, and let the heat pad evaporate the water and just watch them until they need to be watered again.. and if you want, put the lid on here and there if you need to.. but once you have a few pop up.. the lid is off anyways.)

so I would personally say, you can give them a shot again, just keep them a little less wet.. but I'd bet the seeds are just not that good..should have had something pop up at least

enh, stuff happens, you could always just get another set of seeds, and just plant the ones you have left in the jiffy pellets, just stick like 3 per pellet and see if any go, and just plant your other seeds that you get there too.. but how you regularly would.. as long as you watch the moisture level.. because they just shouldn't rot like that, especially if your other ones didn't..

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. They shouldn't be rotting like that. Same thing happened with my Bhut Jolokia's too. I had one sprout out of about...five or six. Could just be user error.

Problem is I spent all my dough on a bunch of seeds from them and my setup. I know a couple of bucks doesn't sound like much, but after you add in what I've spent and the few dollars a month for the lights....

Is it common to get packs of seeds? Anyone else have a problem with Trade Winds Fruit seeds?

Edit: You know, I'm having issues with my Red Manzano's also. I've had three grow a nice looking tap root, but never begin to open the seed casing. I wonder if they are bad too.

Thanks.

Some pequin/tepins can be very difficult. The wild pequins here in Rio Grande Valley are very difficult to germ. I ended up digging some wild plants could never get them to grow from seed.

the seeds only "know" how to do one thing

they grow when conditions seem right

the tepins are a "bird type"

some thousands of seasons these berries have been eaten by
dinosaurs and pooped onto the ground
might try running some through a dinosaur? (or a similar treatment)

they may take four to six weeks on/with the heat mat and you may even try a little lower heat with those like ±68-73°F

the pubes showing a root are looking to grow give the root some media to bury it's tip into and see if that will work

some of these seeds just try to frustrate the grower

it is ok to talk to them and try to convince them to f-ing grow
good growing

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. They shouldn't be rotting like that. Same thing happened with my Bhut Jolokia's too. I had one sprout out of about...five or six. Could just be user error.

Problem is I spent all my dough on a bunch of seeds from them and my setup. I know a couple of bucks doesn't sound like much, but after you add in what I've spent and the few dollars a month for the lights....

Is it common to get packs of seeds? Anyone else have a problem with Trade Winds Fruit seeds?

Edit: You know, I'm having issues with my Red Manzano's also. I've had three grow a nice looking tap root, but never begin to open the seed casing. I wonder if they are bad too.

Thanks.

yeah I know what you mean, I figured a few $ wasn't a lot, then I realized that my initial seed purchase was around $45, and I would never have enough room in the garden to grow all of them lol, so I trimmed it down to about $30 or so which is still a good amount just for seeds, and then I spent another $25-30 later on from other sources.. so it does add up and that is not even talking about the crap load I dumped on lights/tents ect...which I did go a little overboard, and this is my first year growing inside so early.. but I am having fun with it, and I will be able to use this stuff for as long as i want really..

but if you want I should have a few left over from the amount that I bought.. might not have much, but at least it will be better than nothing, I need to find some of those little tiny baggies tomorrow but I will ship some and a few other ones that I know are good to grow if you message me your address.. I should get them out by the end of the week, the first few tepins that I started have actually started to bud now..

here is a quick pic of what the first/older 3 look like so far (they are the thinner/slightly rounder leafed ones in the bottom of the pic kind of

I treated my tepin seeds just like all the others I started. There are now two hooks showing on the 9th day. Soaked in distilled water overnight and put right into planting mix under full spectrum flourescent tubes (2x 4'). Maybe just beginner's luck. The seeds are from the Hippy Seed company. One of their explosive embers also hooked on day 9.

You should check them out in the Vendor Vault forum.

If the baggie method fails and you get black seeds, try cleaning your hands and tools before you do anything else. The method is fool-resistant (there is no standard fool).

Clean is essential when germinating.

I also used the baggie method. Didn't notice a difference in germination rates betwee the Tepins and everything else...

If you don't have a temperature-controlled heat mat or something similar I find setting the seed bags on top of random electronics often works. My router has produced the best germination rates...

Chiltepin and pequin always germinate very quickly and easily for me. I planted some chiltepin from tradewindsfruit about 4-5 days ago though, so I'll let you know how mine do. If they are bad seeds mine might be bad too.

yeah I know what you mean, I figured a few $ wasn't a lot, then I realized that my initial seed purchase was around $45, and I would never have enough room in the garden to grow all of them lol, so I trimmed it down to about $30 or so which is still a good amount just for seeds, and then I spent another $25-30 later on from other sources.. so it does add up and that is not even talking about the crap load I dumped on lights/tents ect...which I did go a little overboard, and this is my first year growing inside so early.. but I am having fun with it, and I will be able to use this stuff for as long as i want really..

but if you want I should have a few left over from the amount that I bought.. might not have much, but at least it will be better than nothing, I need to find some of those little tiny baggies tomorrow but I will ship some and a few other ones that I know are good to grow if you message me your address.. I should get them out by the end of the week, the first few tepins that I started have actually started to bud now..

here is a quick pic of what the first/older 3 look like so far (they are the thinner/slightly rounder leafed ones in the bottom of the pic kind of

Wow, really appreciate it Max. That was very kind of you to offer. But, I did talk the wife into another $3. :) I bought a pack of tepins from pepperlover.com last night. I figured I would compare. If they rot too, then it HAS to be user error. :)

I treated my tepin seeds just like all the others I started. There are now two hooks showing on the 9th day. Soaked in distilled water overnight and put right into planting mix under full spectrum flourescent tubes (2x 4'). Maybe just beginner's luck. The seeds are from the Hippy Seed company. One of their explosive embers also hooked on day 9.

You should check them out in the Vendor Vault forum.

Dang, that's quick. May be the distilled water is the issue?

If the baggie method fails and you get black seeds, try cleaning your hands and tools before you do anything else. The method is fool-resistant (there is no standard fool).

Clean is essential when germinating.

Thanks Willard. Yeah, I've seen you and others consistently speaking about keeping things clean. I have been aware of it. I wash my hands before touching any of the seeds, etc. Could the paper towels become an issue?

Chiltepin and pequin always germinate very quickly and easily for me. I planted some chiltepin from tradewindsfruit about 4-5 days ago though, so I'll let you know how mine do. If they are bad seeds mine might be bad too.

Excellent, thanks. I'd be interested to see if you have any issues with their seeds. I bet you don't. :)

+1 My chiltepins (NMSU) in the soil mix sprouted on day 8. None germinating in orchid mix so far.

Back