• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teurf 2015 - Day 242 - Brew, Peppers & Mt.Washington

Good afternoon fellow pepperlovers, for 2015, I want to grow less hot varieties than last year, as I found out I'm way woosier than I thought. I would also like to have all 5 standard "species". Here is my list so far:

Chinense
Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Burkina
Pink Tiger
Fatalii
Aji Limo
Trinidad Perfume

Annuum
Cumra Cherry
King of the North
Fresno
Long Thin Cayenne
Mulato Isleno
Numex Big Jim

Baccatum
Lemondrop
Aji Melocoton
Aji Mango
Aji Verde
Aji Amarillo

Pubescens
Aji Rocoto
Rocoto Oro
Rocoto Huallanga

Frutescens
Aji Pipi de Mono
Aji Charapita

I should start seeds after Christmas, prolly December 26th at 8AM, hehehhehee

Here's last year grow: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43897-teurf-2014-grand-finale/?hl=teurf%26%2339%3Bs 

Merry Christmas Everybody,
Teurf

Hey I was looking at your overwintered Aji and I was wondering if I did the right thing pruning my 3 plants severely.

542441Overwinter.png

Oh you sure did the right thing. Depending on how much light you have, the smaller you trim your plants, the better it will be. 

The issue I have is that my Aji Amarillo has no source of artificial lighting, and the sun I get throughout the day is not enough even though I am South-West facing window. Also, the Aji Amarillo is known to be very very tall plants, so maybe it is normal that they get so high.

IMO, the only reason you want to overwinter is get a real big head start for plant out, especially in Quebec :)

Teurf

Joker38 said:
Hey I was looking at your overwintered Aji and I was wondering if I did the right thing pruning my 3 plants severely.

542441Overwinter.png

Feb 3rd: Day 35

Hey a little pic to see evolution. I think I will try an organic liquid hydroponics fert to water my plants as I've only put some compost for nutes into my mix.

Peace
Teurf

I was away for a week at my parents-in-law so I didn't give much love to my peppers.

Yesterday I went to the hydroponics store to grab some nutes for my babies. I got vegetative growth nutes and humic acid. I opted for Quebec sourced ferts, they said they were organic but I have my doubts with the methol scenting Ocean grow... oh well

See you next time with evolution
TEURF

Wow is it me or just 5 days after ferts the difference is huge ? I know I am repeating myself but, Pink Tigers are amazing, they are way darker than what I was expecting and seems to grow very compact. (ça se dit ça ? haha)

Joker38 said:
Wow is it me or just 5 days after ferts the difference is huge ? I know I am repeating myself but, Pink Tigers are amazing, they are way darker than what I was expecting and seems to grow very compact. (ça se dit ça ? haha)

It might only be the angle of the shot hehe, but seriously you are right, plus the color of the leaves is much better.
What I don't know yet is how frequently will I fertilize them... each watering seems to be a lot given I water them about once a week...

Grow very compact....Je sais pas si à proprement parler ça se dit, mais je suis pas mal sur que le peu de gens qui lisent mon log ont compris   :dance:
Teurf

Your grow log seems understandable to me, buddy!

Your starts look great.  Nutin' like a little nitrogen to
kick things into overdrive!   Right before transplant to
2-liter pots, the beverage cups were taking 3oz. of
half-strength fish fert/Cal-Mag every 2 or 3 days, and
the plants were growing like crazy.

Teurf said:
very compact....Je sais pas si à proprement parler ça se dit, mais je suis pas mal sur que le peu de gens qui lisent mon log ont compris   :dance:
Teurf

Runescape said:
Why wasnt the light on? interfers with the image quality?

Awesome sun moving effect though...

Actually, the lights were on at the beginning of my timelapse. When I woke up I turned the lights off before leaving for work.

When the lights are on, there is absolutely no movement, thats why I removed it from the video. Next time, I will raise the light fixture to have better light penetration in the room.

Teurf

Day 54: Foliar feed

Hey guys, my peppers were beginning to wilt slightly so I fed them plain water from the top and tried foliar feeding with my ocean grow. 5ml for a liter. Lets see how it turns out.

Dark green is becoming more dominant; we've had a few clear days here in Montreal for the past week.

Aji verde

I am beginning to draft some sketches of my garden next summer, I might include some tobacco for fun and would really like to try replacing decorative vines for hops. One of my colleagues from university has some well established Cascade, Nugget and Brewer's Gold hop plants and will provide me with rhizomes next spring.

Can't wait!
TEURF

Nice with the plans for growing hops!

Just made a deal with local homebrewers, who had some established hop plants. For a bottle of beer, they'll trade me some clones of their best varieties! 

Day 65: E nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

Amen.

I thought it would be easier this year since I had good results topping last year. But it killed me again. I was lacking space under the lights, I figured it would give me an additional 2 weeks to figure things out in terms of space before it starts bushing out.

Also started my jiffys: 6 tobaccos, 8 ground cherries, 2 tomatillos, 6 eggplants. All in jiffy pellets, 3 seeds per pellet

Anyone could tell me the frequency to change the T5 fluo lights..? I have had mine for a year now, growing about 12 hours a day for 7-8 months..

Thanks!
TEURF

Runescape said:
Lol, cant wait to see the results...

I plugged in my Gopro again under nightlapse with a shot every 30 min. Gonna leave it there for a week and over, to see the peppers regrow their leaves.

Teurf

Teurf said:
I plugged in my Gopro again under nightlapse with a shot every 30 min. Gonna leave it there for a week and over, to see the peppers regrow their leaves.
Have you ever had the battery die while it was taking pics? Or do you have the charger plugged in the whole time? Not very familiar w/ gopros and timelapses...

Runescape said:
Have you ever had the battery die while it was taking pics? Or do you have the charger plugged in the whole time? Not very familiar w/ gopros and timelapses...

I actually have to plug it during the whole thing, otherwise it dies off after 2 hours or so... it wouldn't be a great timelapse this way hehe

Teurf

Day 73: Rebirth

I did a new timelapse. Unfortunately I have a few shots of dark and camera moved a little during timelapse since I was too cheap to buy "The Frame" for my GoPro cam. Anywho there it is!

Group shot

Bhut Jolokia

My first non pepps germinated (Tomatillos, Ontario Light Tobacco, Black Beauty Eggplant)

Here is this year's plan for my community garden. My friend and I each have a 20'x20' plot. We plan on doing small raised beds with fabric and wooden pickets.

I visited my friend this week and he showed me what he had been cooking up for the past few months...BLACK GOLD!

Finally, I am evolving towards my beer brewing project. I have gathered all my pieces to build my 40qt mash tun for all grain brewing.

Cheers!
Teurf

Back