• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Texas Wild Tepin

Hi,

this year I am growing the TWT from Pepperlover. Strangely enough, I did not expect the seeds from this one to germinate (well) but it surprisingly was the one that had pretty much the best germination rate from last year's PL seeds. Quite a few of them did not germinate at all.

I have several plants of this one now and will give a few away to friends. They keep asking me how hot it is. The PL website has no information on that.

Did anyone grow this plant and what was the heat level? (I would assume it is somewhere in the 5-8 range on a 1-10 scale, right?)

TIA for any answers,
Werner

Thanks, saiias. But I think the different tepins are probably pretty different in heat level. So I would not really take it for granted that - if one is a 7 - that all of the others are. I myself could wait and don't have any problem with any heat level but the people I'm giving the plants to are not all really used to the really hot stuff. I know some wild chiles can be really hot reaching somewhere in the 9 range while others aren't much hotter than regular Tabasco.

HatchChileFestival said:
Thanks, saiias. But I think the different tepins are probably pretty different in heat level. So I would not really take it for granted that - if one is a 7 - that all of the others are. I myself could wait and don't have any problem with any heat level but the people I'm giving the plants to are not all really used to the really hot stuff. I know some wild chiles can be really hot reaching somewhere in the 9 range while others aren't much hotter than regular Tabasco.

You are quite right - there are many names-shapes-types-heat levels of these wild peppers habitat from northern South America to South Western North America.... 

Various names found: 
Indian pepper (As in Native American.)
,turkey, ,bird peppers bird’s eye,
Chiltepe
Chiltepin
Pequin 
Chile Piquin

Back