food Texture of Pickled Jalapeños

The final texture of my pickled jals was very soft but not necessarily mushy. They didn't have the same texture as store bought pickled jals.

I recall that once I put my jars in the hot water bath it took FOREVER to get the water up to boiling. Probably close to 30 minutes until it had a moderate boil going. Did all that lead time in the hot water bath before the boil hammer them? Next time should I wait until I have a good simmer going before I drop my jars?

They taste and look great. They just lack that bit of resistance when you bite into one.

I usually throw the peppers in the vinegar and water mix and let it come to the boil. They will change colour, then test regularly till you get the required level of resistance you want. Once you have reached this I then put them in sterilised jars. I'm not sure why people tend to first put them in the jars, then drop in water to boil.

I water bathed them because I did 4 jars (47 pods) and wanted them to be 'shelf stable' for a while. Because I am paranoid I stored them in the fridge just in case. As much as I like pickled jals I wasnt planning on plowing through all of them in a week or two.

The first thing I do is bring the boiling water bath to a boil, then I add the peppers to the jar and pour the "just off the boil" pickling liquid into the jars with the peppers.  Then I put the quite hot jars into the canner and it is only a few minutes to get it back to a roiling boil.  It takes way too long to get the canner to a boil, especially when I am using the giant quart canner.  I usually put the canner on medium heat 45 minutes to an hour before I am ready to use the canner.

Husker21 said:
The final texture of my pickled jals was very soft but not necessarily mushy. They didn't have the same texture as store bought pickled jals.

I recall that once I put my jars in the hot water bath it took FOREVER to get the water up to boiling. Probably close to 30 minutes until it had a moderate boil going. Did all that lead time in the hot water bath before the boil hammer them? Next time should I wait until I have a good simmer going before I drop my jars?

They taste and look great. They just lack that bit of resistance when you bite into one.

I've always had similar results/problems when I can peppers.
Next time I'm planning to try it in smaller batches with smaller jars so I can use less water. Hopefully the water returns to a boil quicker and the peppers will then be crisper.

Back