• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake TFM Scotch Bonnet Powder

TFM scotch bonnet powder by STEVE954
2iivo1f.jpg

One immediately notes a very pleasing aroma and bouquet. For me this is reminiscent of the Caribbean, more specifically Jamaica. The pungent smell of Scotch Bonnet permeates the air around eating establishments and roadside cafes in an enticing way. I enjoy these fond memories this product brings back, this powder is that and more.

Finely ground, fluffy, dry and non-clumpy correct size grains of powder making it easy to utilize. Again, like the other good powders that I have sampled it has been stored very well, first-rate in my opinion. The coloration is nothing short of excellent and a very pleasing yellow to the eye. A vibrant yellow*, similar to the way man paints the sun on canvas. I can only attribute this high quality coloration to well chosen pods with good color and the fact that these pods were sun dried the old fashion way. Hands down this is the best color I have ever seen on any Scotch Bonnet powder made, true to the source.

The flavor is typical of an actual Scotch Bonnet pepper without any enhanced flavors, although as you know powders are on the dry side if you don’t utilize them on something moist, but this trait is inherent to all powders. This powder has fruity slightly smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness and hint of citrus to it. Mind you this is not the fruity citrus flavor of a Jamaican Habanero which in my opinion is completely different and fruitier in taste. This is the traditional taste of unaltered Scotch Bonnets and prepared correctly. That said, the heat is on the medium side but I assume he removed the seeds and membrane or it would easily be a notch hotter but probably a slight loss to the rich beautiful color.

Conclusion (1 to 5 in each category)
Name: N/A
Label: N/A
Appearance: 5
Color: 5
Smell: 4
Taste: 5
Heat: 3
Conclusion: If you like the taste of Scotch Bonnets this is one of the best SB powders I’ve every seen, even compared to commercially sold powders. If you have the chance to try this powder I highly recommend it, scoring 4.4 of 5 stars. While I truely enjoy this on shrimp, I'd say it goes well with anything and probably most apprapo with a fine Pinot Grigio.

Product in use on cracker spread, left side.
66kkrk.jpg

*The yellow in the picture of the powder (top picture) is subdued due to it being inside of a plastic wrap.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoy!
WalkGood,
Ramon

Wow, fantastic review Ramon! Very simple powder. Ripened TFM pods picked, deseeded, fine chopped and left to sun dry 3 days. Stored in air tight glass container. Goes very well on seafood, especially shrimp. I mix in flour batter for fried calamari, also use to enhance jerk seasoning!

Wow, fantastic review Ramon! Very simple powder. Ripened TFM pods picked, deseeded, fine chopped and left to sun dry 3 days. Stored in air tight glass container. Goes very well on seafood, especially shrimp. I mix in flour batter for fried calamari, also use to enhance jerk seasoning!
Steve, thanks for the feedback ... I enjoyed the powder :)

Great...I don't have any powder with me and I am now craving the $hit out of it! Nice review Ramon!!!
Thanks Shane, it was fun to try it and write. I appreciate the kind response and know dem cravings myself, can be hard. I found myself carrying a few spare peppers to work and chopping them up into my food, on days when I’ve forgotten … well let’s just say I didn’t have a good day, lol.

Sorry to be a byte thick here ... is this a product I can get /order some of now ?

Bonnets are my favorite . One type of pepper I love to grow and work with. I never could find any TFM seeds to buy & grow... but ended up being given some. Have no idea how old the seeds are and if they'll sprout for me. So I've got seeds started for this season. I'd love to test drive the aroma / flavor so to speak.

If you have some to sell now .... please give me the info. Here or inna' PM

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Sorry to be a byte thick here ... is this a product I can get /order some of now ?

Bonnets are my favorite . One type of pepper I love to grow and work with. I never could find any TFM seeds to buy & grow... but ended up being given some. Have no idea how old the seeds are and if they'll sprout for me. So I've got seeds started for this season. I'd love to test drive the aroma / flavor so to speak.

If you have some to sell now .... please give me the info. Here or inna' PM

Peace,
P.Dreadie
Hi Erin, I wrote the review because I was given a small sample and was truely impressed with the color and appearance. I have no idea what STEVE954 does with it other than what he's posted in his glog or here. I would suggest you pm him and speak with him directly, thanks for posting :)

I don't sell anything I grow. Trade only! It's a not-for-profit hobby!
Nice mon keep it pure ^_^
Awesome review WalkGood. And that powder looks super tasty Steve!
Thanks Jamison, I believe the first pic on both reviews could have been better without the baggie :/ It somewhat chaging the color a little and adding reflection to the true color. But I couldn't dump those small ammounts out and expect to put them back in dry. I'd love to shoot some pics of that mountain that Shane had, wow!

Back