• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Thai Basil

My Thai Basil isn't really growing. It's planted in my garden in the herb section, where genovese basil, red rubin basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary and others are growing at least a little bit (the cilantro is on steroids). Does Thai Basil need a lot of fertilizer or something I'm not aware of? Or is it a slow grower? It is probably receiving too much water since it has been raining a lot.

Too much water and not enough sun will stunt any basil. I am surprised your other basil is growing at all with those conditions. I transplanted my basil into the ground 4 weeks ago and I have maybe gotten an inch of growth if that. It has been too rainy and cloudy here.

Editing to add that my dill and greens have been loving the weather.

It has been raining in my area almost nonstop with little to no sun all spring and summer thus far and all my basil is growing at a snails pace at best.  Just pray for warmer temps and some sun like me

I have about 20 Thai Basil plants that are really growing now that the warm weather is here, I planted it a week later than my lemon and lime Basil and they are already a good two to three inches taller than my other Basils.
I'm already picking small amounts as I don't want to stunt the plants, It seems that Thai basil likes warmer weather more than other basils, it does help if it is given a little fertilizer of and on, My main problem is that it wants to flower earlier than my Greek and lettuce leaf basils, so I end up harvesting it before I really want to.

My Genovese is growing fine but my Thai Basil is also struggling.   I suspect over watering is the main culprit, and since we flood irrigate there's not much I can do about it now. 

Back