• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thai chilies,,,flavorless?

Give me the skinny here. On another forum, someone said that Thai chilies provide no flavor, just heat. Is this true? Thanks.

They do provide flavor, but they are a very low water content pepper with thick skin and almost no flesh, so it is a more subtle flavor. If you take a dish and set aside a bit of the sauce, and put Thai Chilies in the rest and taste them side by side, you can notice a flavor difference in addition to the heat. It's more of a dry, smoky flavor as opposed to a sharp, pungent flavor, but it is still a flavoring agent. I prefer to use them powdered as opposed to whole/fresh, the flavor infusion is more pronounced that way, and provides a pretty damned good punch of heat per scoop!

they have an good flavor that is somewhat subtle but they have many so good uses, its always worth growing at-lest a few
no no tasteless

thanks your friend Joe

It really depends what you're comparing.
They have not the overpowering flavor of most chinenses which may be good if you need more 'dry' heat in cooking.
If you find yourself little tired by the chinense flavor (like me) they provide a nice alternative and still pack some punch.
Most thai varieties are also pretty easy to grow, prolific and sturdy.

Cya

Datil

They have a great flavor dry. Lots of people liked my sauce I made with just thai chiles with lime. I dried them to get the flavor I like before making the sauce. They are a must for Asian cuisine, which I like to make a lot. I also like to eat them pickled as a snack.

Give me the skinny here. On another forum, someone said that Thai chilies provide no flavor, just heat. Is this true? Thanks.

I guess that would depend on the variety of Thai chilli you are talking about. Prik luang for example is only mildly hot but has a nicely rounded flavour which goes well with fish and chopped in salads... the birds eye types (eg prik ki nu) have an intense stingy burn with sometimes an almost slightly soapy flavour undertone (not unpleasant mind you simply different).

Back