• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Thai Dry Rub Ideas?

I spent the first half of my summer traveling around the country. Unfortunately, I didn't grow any plants this summer. But I did grab a couple of thai pepper plants from friends. One is ornamental (little peppers less than an inch long) and another that is "regular?" (long and sticking straight up towards the sky).

Since I only have two plants I'm not sure what to do with them. I could make a thai paste like the one in this thread:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23571-garlic-chili-paste/

But since I only have a handful of peppers (about 80 on the big one and another 40-50 on the ornamental) I'm not sure that is my best option. I might be better off drying all of the peppers in my dehydrator and then turning them into a powder in my grinder. I was thinking I might be able to mix that powder with other spices to create a dry rub for bbq ribs or something. If I did this I might be able to get more mileage out of the few peppers I have. And that would also allow me to pass along some of the dry rub to my friend who gave me the peppers in the first place. Drying them would also allow me to collect some of the seeds for next year, right?

I also have 2 thai basil plants so maybe I should just make a really small batch of paste. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Or I could make a hot sauce along these lines, I suppose:

1 Cup distilled water
3 level Tbsp crushed roasted Thai chilies
5 Tsp Red wine vinegar
1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tsp Dark sesame oil
2 Tsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tsp Fish sauce
3-4 Large cloves garlic
1/2 Tsp Onion powder
1/2 Tsp Sea salt

(found this on the internetz)

are these Thai bird's pepper? those are preety hot (for my tongue)

if so dont use to much unless you and friend that will eat the dish are ok with very hot stuff!
that would be bad to spoil a nice chunk of meat

you can search for BBQ dry rub recipe on the net and exchange some peper with your thai pepper that could end up in something good :)

Here's a link for some dry rub recipe :
BBQ DRY Rub recipes Links

One other quick question... if I dry the thai chili peppers and then collect the dried seeds, will I be able to plant them next year? Or does drying them prevent them from growing? I've got the first batch (about 8) in my dehydrator now. I didn't slice them or anything; just put them in whole and set it at about 130. The rest of the peppers on the plant haven't turned red yet.

Thanks for the info.

I have an ornamental bird's eye and it IS hot. I tried a fatalii for the first time yesterday (Thank you Jamie!) and it did not seem a lot hotter than my little 3/4 inch thai pods! Fiery little bastards! I have fun convincing friends to pop one in their mouth, "How bad could a pepper that big be? Cmon man, I did it." The last victim got the hiccups literally 3 seconds or so after he bit the pepper and they lasted a good 10 hilarious minutes.

SW...generally, dehydrating the pods will ruin the seeds.

As for dry rubs...this is my territory. Here's an idea of what to add to the dried peppers. I personally flake mine...no powders here...but I like the texture along with the flavor...personal preference.

A good general rub, with a tex-mex flare (just because that's my area)...no measurements...play with it:

salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika...and do yourself a favor and find some good paprika, cumin/comino, (a little) sugar, or brown sugar depending on your tastes, and the cdried chiles of your choice.

THis is a common base I use for a lot of rubs. From here, you can go anywhere...BBQ, Asian, Indian, Italian...just add flavors specific to the genre you are trying to make.

Sorry...my dumb ass just realized you specified Thai. Coriander seed, maybe some dried cilantro, a little tumeric, some lemon zest/peel, and your wet sauces are spot on with soy sauce, and fish sauce.

Back