• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Thai Ornamental Chili from Bonnie - a mislabeled Cayenne?

I'm really bad with plant I.D. - but the plant I bought from Bonnie which was labeled as a Thai Ornamental certainly doesn't look like any I can find online.
     Its fruit is definitely prolific - got nearly 40 peppers of various sizes on there now (and I haven't been taking very good care of it), but way to large to be ornamental, I'd think. The peppers are long and thin, instead of short "bulbs", and don't stick straight up like the picture indicated.
     They also aren't super hot - the first plant I have to have a ripe(ish) pepper was this one, and although it was spicy (a bit more than a jalapeno), when sliced up on a taco, it didn't stand out too much (I know that's a really bad judge of spiciness...). It's possible that my habanero intake made a Thai chili seem less than outstandingly hot, but I kinda doubt it, since I didn't need more than a bit of water afterwards, to feel comfortable.
     My guess is it's just a Cayenne, as I think it was really close on the rack to the plants labeled as such. Also, if it's any help in the id-process, the peppers seem to get thin pretty fast after turning red - I assume they're drying out, but I really know very little about it all - I was just planning on just getting some hot peppers for a sauce or something from the plant.
     If anyone can confirm its identity, that'd be great - and suggestions for what to do with the peppers would be nice too (preferably something besides drying them).

IMG_2887.JPG

Thanks for any help!
Nathan

Thank you both, that's good to hear. I'm surprised my heat-comparison ended up being accurate.

It's too bad it was mislabeled, but I'm thankful it's still really prolific and taking to the pot well. And I have some other ornamental-ish chilis anyways.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I agree with others on the Cayenne votes. I grew Bonnies Ornamental Thais in 2014-15, see pic below, and it certainly not those.
Those look nice, and are definitely not what I've got. I had thought that maybe it was a cross of a Thai and something else, but I think the simplest answer is that it's just a mislabeled cayenne.

Thanks to all for the answers!

Back