food Thai Stir Fry With Basil (Pad Krapow)

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I have been cooking this style meal for about 6 or 7 months now and think I probably got it down pretty good.

Prep is tedious with all the chopping, especially since I broke my Vidalia Onion Chopper, but over all, it takes about 45-50 minutes from start to finish. When cleaning the jalapenos, I remove all seeds and placenta. This recipe originally called for bell pepper but I have substituted jalapenos.

and of course, you can adjust the heat by adding more or less of the serrano and thai chili's, the recipe as is will make you sweat a little...or at least it does me

Recipe is for 4

peanut oil 3 Tbsp
garlic 3 cloves chopped
serrano chili 6 chopped
thai chili 6 chopped

ground chicken or turkey 2 pounds

dark soy sauce 1 Tbsp
oyster sauce 3 Tbsp
fish sauce 3 Tbsp

chili paste in soybean oil 1 Tbsp

scallions 2 bunches chopped
onion 1 large chopped or sliced
jalapeno chili 12 chopped or sliced

sweet basil 1 cup leaves only

I use a Cuisenart Electric Wok set at 350

add oil, garlic, serrano and thai peppers and cook until garlic starts to brown (about a minute or so)

add chicken/turkey and stir fry until the meat starts to brown (3-5 minutes)

add dark soy, oyster sauce, and fish sauce and stir fry until liquid is reduced by half (~4 minutes)

stir in chili paste

add onion, scallions, and jalapeno and cook until meat is cooked through (5-7 minutes)

stir in basil leaves until combined and serve over red jasmine rice (or whatever you want, I like Thai noodles)

Bon Apetite

Man AJ, I love Thai cooking. It's so fresh and delicious. I've been cooking various versions of Pad See Ew for months now. They usually end up more like drunken noodles, but the dishes are always delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I'll give it a go. We have a new Asian grocer opening up right down the street (awesome), so I will have access to some really good unique produce like chinese broccoli (cook the stems and all).

Anyway, I would love to see a picture of the final product. So, next time you whip this up, snap a pic! It doesn't have to be an awesome picture. Often these thai creations don't photograph well...

Happy eating!

I made it again last night...next time I make it I will take a series of pictures...

Gotta grow yer self some " Queen Siam " or " Queenette " ...true thai basil...

I grow several types from " Fino Verde" thru " Basilico Genovese " and all are great used on pizzas through Zupa de Pecce....but

Ronnie check out the thai .....it makes a world of difference.........How was your 1st scorp of the season?

Greg

Sounds very good, AJ. I normally cook beef bai krapow that I learned from a Thai fishing buddy.

Thanks for the share.

Bob

Back