• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thank you very much THPers, garden is looking much healthier! Now another question :P

Again thanks to the people who told me I basically fried my peppers, I got them in a better spot and they're starting to come back much better. Now I have one more question... How would I go about seperating two plants from the same housing. Housing may not be the right word, but I mean the actual 2 inch by 2 inch square of growing dirt. I planted two in each one of them for a double chance at getting germination. Some of them have both of the seeds that germinated and looking really healthy and I want to keep them. How should I go about moving them from one spot to another? What I was thinking was getting a really thin ruler and putting it in between them and then a small gardening shovel and scooping out one of the plants and moving it, using the ruler to prevent the dirt from the other half spilling over. Then filling in the other side with more dirt, effectively leaving one plant in the same spot and moving another to a new location. Would this be okay, or should I just pinch them off to prevent any mishaps to both of them?

Here are some pics, thanks:

66a415551c.jpg

6448e761b0.jpg

14a400d3d3.jpg

You will have to remove them and submerge the soil/roots in water and carefully seperate them with your fingers by loosening the soil in while in the water. Its best to wait until they need watered while doing this.

i just finished separate a bunch of peppers and tomatoes.

my technique is to use a plastic fork and push it directly between the 2 plants. as the spoon gets to the bottom of the container, i scoop under the plant to coddle the dirted root system and lift up, trying not to disturb the roots. i put the plant into a new container that i have put a bed of soil already laid down and have misted with epsom salt and a mild fertilizer - something with a high phosphorus level. i put soil around the plant and then lightly water.

so roughly, i do exactly as you described how you plan to separate - good thinking.

I agree with Megahot wrt keeping the soil moist while you separate the plants. Keep another pot filled half with soil ready to transplant into, and have moist soil ready to fill in the pot when you're done transplanting. I usually create a 'hole' in the soil to accommodate the new plant's roots. Depending on the maturity of the plant, I don't use any fertilizer for about a week to let the plant settle, and then water with diluted kelp.

No water here, and I don't mess with the dirt already on the roots. Roots have hair that go thru organic matter and uses it as a sponge to suck up water, idk but I'd say the less you mess with the roots the less shock and won't retard growth. That's just me, and I'm sure you'll receive LOTS of different ways and opinions.

This is me separating. Hope it helps.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid833.photobucket.com/albums/zz255/sickturbo/VID_20130227_164635.mp4

, Vegas

I agree with Megahot wrt keeping the soil moist while you separate the plants. Keep another pot filled half with soil ready to transplant into, and have moist soil ready to fill in the pot when you're done transplanting. I usually create a 'hole' in the soil to accommodate the new plant's roots. Depending on the maturity of the plant, I don't use any fertilizer for about a week to let the plant settle, and then water with diluted kelp.

I water and wait like 2 days before attempting, because the soil is moist and not soggy.

Soggy soil or wet is no good in my book, moist is ideal. Just my opinion.

, Vegas

Thanks for the video, Vegas - good job on transplanting. My plants are usually a bit older and the pots larger, but it's only 'cuz I'm lazy and don't want to transplant more than once, though this year's cold weather and snow have proven me wrong.

Thanks for the video, Vegas - good job on transplanting. My plants are usually a bit older and the pots larger, but it's only 'cuz I'm lazy and don't want to transplant more than once, though this year's cold weather and snow have proven me wrong.

Yes I see, but if you want to separate it's better to do it when they have 1st true leaves. If you wait longer expect to untangle or cut roots and it's gona be harder.

larger seedlings I never tried it but if they get shock from tearing or cutting root they may come back pretty quick because they have decent root system already.

I recommend you plant extra if you have the seed, keep some for experiment (usually the weak ones), and try different things. Everyone is different and all so just find your sweet spot.

, Vegas

I like to water the cell its growing in and wait a few minutes. I then take take the plants out of the cell and grab em both at the bottom of the stalk and carefully seperate em by pulling apart and then plant into dry soil, yes dry soil. I wait to water until they need it.

Back