• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense That Habanero Smell!?

Does anyone know what molecular compound is responsible for that very distinct unique aroma that is exclusive to cultivars of Capsicum chinense? You know that 'habanero smell'? All super hots have it but non C. chinense peppers don't. Capsaicin is odorless and this coumpound is something else but I feel like it's pungeance coincides with heat level. Although the mild strain of habanero still has the smell a little bit. It's so distinct and recognizable, has science ever identified what this substance is?

Thanks, I only read the excerpt, since I don't have $40 to blow on any random scholarly article it looks possibly like the answer to my question could be δ-cadinene? Does this seem right?

The Chinense skunk.  Tragically, it's dominating and off-putting to me . . . which makes it really hard to explore and appreciate properly varieties that interest me, such as brown Chinenses.

Trying Chinenses has sort of sensitized me to this compound, ester, aldehyde, sesquiterpene or whatever it is to the point that I've detected some element of this in ripe watermelon.  Fortunately, it doesn't define and dominate there.

Back