• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

That is a bunch of Lanterns

This is my first ever attempt at growing indoors and my Paper Lantern seems to really enjoy the grow light. Look at all that ripening fruit. I don't think I had that many on the plant at one time all year. I counted 23 ripening pods not including the one I had for dinner in my fajita. Only major problem I seem to have is my tendency to over water them. I've lost a lot of the new growth from keeping the plant too moist and I think 1/2 of the problem is that there is quite a bit of topsoil on the roots (since I cut it out of the ground) and only potting soil around the outside of the pot. I think once I pick these peppers, I'm going to carefully clean the top soil off of the plant and give it some good potting soil to keep it happy over the winter.

I really like what these peppers have to offer. A hab like heat, without that citrus orange hab flavor that tastes terrible in the wrong dishes. Can easily be eaten in larger quantities than the super hots for obvious reasons. I think my wife is not all that pleased with the day that I decide to make fajitas with only paper lanterns and onions and no sweet peppers :dance: :dance: :dance: She thinks Texas Pete is spicy.

IMAG0673.jpg

Looks like a pretty neat pepper to grow, lots of peppers there and first time i have seen a paper lantern.
Good job keeping it going.

Nice!
I just started some hot paper lanterns for indoor DWC
Will be cool to see how they compare..

Do you hand pollinate or just let em do their thing?
And what size light?

Cheers
Ed

Do you hand pollinate or just let em do their thing?
And what size light?

Most of those peppers were pollinated before I brought the plant inside. That's why I didn't clean the roots off very well, I didn't want to loose all the small peppers. I've been hand pollinating a couple of blooming jalapenos that I have under the same light. It isn't that difficult and does seem to get more fruit than just hoping that they pollinate themselves.

The light is a 600 HID light and I currently have a MH bulb in there but I am thinking of switching back to the HPS one since it is a bunch brighter. I also have quite a few small plants I started a couple of months ago under the light, you can see some pics in my glog, but I haven't updated it in a little while. Below is a recent pic of my Bhut Jolokia that isn't quite 2 months old and doing well.
IMAG0675.jpg

Back