• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The 2 Litre Experiment

Ok, I think this an origional idea, but I have been wrong in the past. I took one of my Bhut Jolokia seedlings and put it in a pot at 2 weeks old, it didnt grow much, but the others in the Bio Dome are going well. So I grabbed a 2 Litre pop bottle and cut it apart, about 3 1/2 inches from the bottom. I put 4 2" long slits in the upper section so it will slide back over the bottom. I added Miracle Grow potting mix and put the Bhut seedling from the pot into it. It now has it's own mini greenhouse to live it. I put it on the seedling heating mat, lets see if it is a failed experiment or a success. I will update this regularly if there is interest from the forum members. Here are a couple pics...
It looks lonely, but sometimes isolation is the path to self improvement, right?
BabyBhutInABottle.jpg

Full view of the experiment...
BhutBottleDome1-13.jpg

I think this is a cool pic, but I am a dork LOL
BhutBottleDome.jpg

Just watch the heat, i did an experiment with around 6 plants using your idea and they all died because i left the caps on! Granted it was pretty hot here at the time, good luck!

Thanks for the warning. The BioDome is staying right at 80 degrees on the seedling mat, so hopefully the bottle dome will stay about the same. I plan on removing the cap to allow air in/out also.

Cool experiment. I have seen that before though. I think it was described as mini greenhouses and you can make them out of any jug. I would watch the temps in it just to make sure you aren't baking your seedling.

Pepperfreak said:
Cool experiment. I have seen that before though. I think it was described as mini greenhouses and you can make them out of any jug. I would watch the temps in it just to make sure you aren't baking your seedling.

:::Hangs head and kicks the ground grumbling::: So much for an origional idea :P :P :P

I give you an A+ for ingenuity though...I doubt I would have thought of doing something like that unless I read about it first. :lol:

Back