event The 2nd Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo, A DEFCON Perspective...

It's been quite sometime since I wrote up a piece on a show we have done...About 5-6 years. I have been asked to write them up, but when I begin, I can't find the true passion. I love to write, and when something hits me right, it sets off a stream of conscious. Well, the NYC show was one of them. I give to you Part 1 (Day One) of : The 2nd Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo, A DEFCON Perspective:

It was Thursday, March 27, 2014. The Defcon Crew had started its preliminary supplies check for the impending weekend of the 2nd Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo that coming Saturday and Sunday. The Defcon Crew, well-seasoned in the ways of trade show protocol and combat, worked their ways through the various checklists with nearly effortless speed. No words were spoken amongst the crew, as their objective of survival and monetary gain was firmly ingrained into their psyche, and to focus on victory allows the individual the extra intestinal fortitude to attain that goal. Each knew their role in the impending battle, and their mental preparedness would allow them passage on the road of success.

The campaign was slated to begin on Friday, where the various supplies and gastronomical weaponry would be relocated from the Defcon Compound to the staging area within the halls of war, located across the street from Madison Square Garden. Headquarters was notified that the major supply line trucks would be dropping off a majority of compatriots gear and weaponry that day. Instead of dealing with the cluster-f*** at the docks, the Defcon Star Chamber held an emergency meeting, and through executive order, rescheduled the staging until Saturday morning. It seems the decision was a good one, as all dock conflict was avoided, and Defcon entered the military theater unobstructed, and began setting up our position. Our field position was spectacularly placed, being able to oversee all that entered the Expo from the assault point at the exit of the escalators. We soon realized, due to our positioning, we could make a massive and continual assault upon the psyche of the masses, from the minute they were deployed to the second floor, and for the duration of the campaign. Victory would be ours!

We had only a few short hours to set up, but having been well-versed in show setup over nearly a decade, the field position was prepared in record time. We decorated our position with many ribbons and trophies of past victories, which would act as a magnet to the Forces of Monetary Gain that would be arriving, en masse, shortly. As with all former battles, I continued the tradition, and headed downstairs for a final cigarette before the battle commenced. I looked upon the formations of the Forces of Monetary Gain, their pockets over-stuffed with the Currency of War, spoils we endeavor to relieve them of in the near future with our bottled weapons of gastronomic bliss. Their communal eyes looked upon me in shock and awe, as my uniform was not something they were expecting, and fear wracked the weak, as they had seen the premonition of gastronomical bliss entwined with gastronomical destruction, a visual horror not equaled but for Cthulu himself. 

I tread upstairs, gathered the Defcon Inner Circle together, and took our positions. As if by the mighty horns of Valhalla, the Forces of Monetary Gain began the initial wave assault. The hoarde gathered at the top of the escalator, and many, as if by force of telepathy, turned away from the ensuing battle, and took refuge in the VIP Garden of Inebriation, and began imbibing mass quantities of fermented grain. This pleased the Defcon Crew, as their spending inhibitions will have wavered by the time they exit the Garden, and our monetary gain would be increased. Life is good.

As this was a new military theater for the show, none of the vendors knew exactly what to expect. Having set up our position the previous year in Brooklyn for the show, we kind of did, and had prepared for just this instance. Myself and Maggie had requested the aid of three formidable Defcon Acolytes. The first is known as Larry, a ruthless warrior upon the Battlefield of Retail. He had joined us for a few crusades at other shows, one in the southwest, I have forgotten its name, for it is ancient history for us. Larry, would be one line of defense for us. The second line of defense would bring to bear, the mightiest within the Defcon Continuum. Sages say these two Paragons of Virtue are more powerful than the Defcon Creator himself. This is truly possible, as they are the Creator’s Creators a.k.a. Mom & Dad. Our Army of Ultimate Victory was firmly in place, as if defending against the most evil denizens of Mordor. We will stand our ground against the horde!

The wave assault was upon us, our line must hold! The Forces of Monetary Gain descended upon us not unlike a locust horde of biblical proportion. We stayed our ground. At one point, I honestly remember yelling out, “This is Sparta!”, as the onlookers stared at me quizzically, as a cat does a bug on the wall. It did not matter, with each Square transaction that was completed, our inner strength grew. We would show no quarter! We fended off the Forces of Monetary Gain with our infamous gastronomical weaponry, at the same time gathering their Currency of War, filling our tills with life-giving monetary sustenance. 

A few hours had passed on Saturday, and a trial was on the horizon, a trial of epic proportion, a trial of intestinal fortitude, literally. It was my job, and my job alone to find a Champion among the mortals upon the Deathmatch stage. The Knights of Eternal Darkness amassed upon the raised dais, each taking his/her place among the others. Maggie soon dealt out their trial, in the form of avian appendages. However, these were no normal avian appendages, as they had a strange “never before seen by the eyes of man” coating upon them. As the Knights stared at their meal, they could feel it staring back at them, ripping and shredding the fabric of courage deep within them. Let the trial begin!

The Knights tore into their meal, as if possessed. They gnashed their teeth with the resounding echo of pierced flesh and grinding bone. As they continued, the multitudes of onlookers could see some of the Knights armor begin to weaken. Some were quivering with the rapture of endorphin-based euphoria, their bodily fluids leaking out of the various orifices on their faces, while others saw the darkest side of the meal, and allowed it to consume them. One by one the Knights wavered and surrendered to the trial, and stepped back from the competition table, defeated. Others tested their own will against the darkness, and forged ahead, their internals now being torn asunder. This is what champions are made of. At the end of the day, one stood proud, Igor! Victory was his this day. He was crowned Champion by yours truly, and given the trophy to show the world. 

Shortly after, I began getting intermittent intelligence reports of the Knights, who succumbed to the evil, spilling their guts in the mens room. My job complete, I reveled in their pain and suffering, absorbed their fear, and waded back through the masses of the Forces of Monetary Gain, and reached the Defcon Sauces encampment.

The Defcon forces, weary from the perpetual onslaught of human masses, stood firm, and continued their rushing retail-based assault. Our weapons systems worked perfectly, however, it seemed the ammunition was depleting at a much more accelerated rate than we had anticipated. We could not show the public an iota of concern, as we would be over-run by the wavelike masses. We stood our ground, and fought with the might only the Defcon Magnificent Five could muster. This day shall be ours! Three more hours had passed, which seemed like an eternity, but we held fast, our constitutions growing with every sight of the cash bag, which was now pulsating with the Heartbeat of Entrepreneurship, a rare phenomenon I haven’t seen in years of doing trade shows. Each pulse reflected an increased profit, something other large shows don’t normally offer. This was truly a sign of things to come. Premonitions came to me, I could not make out the forms, but throughout the premonitions a single flame burned throughout, as if trying to speak to me. What was it trying to say?

The clock struck 4, and it was time for The Event to begin. The Icons of Industry gathered in front of the hallowed stage. The tension in the air was thick, and droplets of toiled sweat could be seen falling from the brows of virtually all of the Industry Field Marshalls. It was time for the reckoning, when Champions are chosen by the Gods of Olympus themselves. The stillness in the air was palatable, but the silence was broken by The One, known as Steve Seabury. Twelve Champions would be chosen by his hand, paralleling a scene cut from the Highlander. The Field Marshalls lay in wait, praying they would hear their name called for the Glory of Glories, the Screaming Mimi Award. One by one, they were announced. Cheers of victory could be heard, amongst the sighs of those not chosen. The importance of this gathering could be tasted. It was then, as I stood firm, head held high, scenes of past glory flashing behind my gaze. It was then time, time for the Best Wing Sauce to be chosen, and the Field Marshall would have a crown made of laurel laid upon his head. As Steve began to announce the award winner, it seemed as if the words came out as slow as molasses off the tongue of a gargoyle in winter. It was then I heard a familiar name, it seems I was meant to rule this day, and casually walked upon the stage and gracefully accepted my award, amidst my primordial screams of victory. The day was won! This would be a day to remember, a day unlike any other. The previous premonitions had played out as the Fates portrayed.

With trophy in hand, I made my way, again through the masses, my strength regained.  It was then that a being stood in front of me. This being was known to me. It was Merlin, known to many as Adam Fehr, from Endorphin Farms. He met me with open arms. It was he who was able to create our products, without error, and allow us to continue to formulate our plans of Global Assimilation. This is a true man amongst men, and his humbleness to many is astounding. He congratulated me, yet I had to reinforce to him that HE is the one that deserves recognition, but, as always, he refused to acknowledge this. So be it. It was now time for a beer. I consumed the inebriation device in record time, and resumed my station to fend off the Forces of Monetary Gain. Our weapons of gastronomical destruction were waning in number, as the weapon bins became critically low. The masses, by the stroke of 6 began to dwindle. The day had been won.

We entered the Defcon Urban Assault Vehicle and headed back to homebase, our victory still sweet upon our lips. I counted the take from the day on the way home. The happiness grew even stronger than before. Seems in my absence, the Defcon Troops had powered through the waves of Forces of Monetary Gain, and quelled them with silver tongue and slight of hand. It was no wonder we had to restock all of our weapons of gastronomical destruction for the next day, as we would be without our powerful allies tomorrow. It would be myself and the all-powerful Maggie manning the booth alone, against the horde. We feasted on a food called Wendy’s on the ride home, and slept well knowing we had accomplished everything we set out for on this day. We knew, in our souls, that tomorrow’s battle was inevitable, and that our very being would be tested yet again. Bring it on!

(To Be Continued...)

I give to you, The NYC Hot Sauce Expo Day 2, A DEFCON Perspective....I thank you for taking the time to read my stuff.
The sun rose on Sunday, at least that’s what I assume, as the weather was not going to cooperate today. It was time once again, to don our gear, and head back to the front. This was Day Two of the 2nd Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo… 

It was barely dawn, we were loading up the Defcon Urban Assault Vehicle with more gastrointestinal weaponry. Considering our weapons bins were nearly depleted the previous day, we would not be fallen this day, for this day will be like the last, and victory will once again resonate from our vocal chords! As we packed the vehicle, our muscles were wracked with shooting pains, but we had to stay the course. Only the weak feel pain, and only the lazy need sleep, and we are neither. To arms! 

With our ammo stock fully replenished, we headed out onto the highway to Hell, to do battle once again with the Forces of Monetary Gain. We intend to fill our pockets with the Currency of War, as we so expertly had done a mere 24 hours before. The Defcon Urban Assault Vehicle engaged, and ripped down Route 78 as if being chased by Asmodeus himself. Unknown to us, this day would be a tad different, but having years of training in the ways of the trade show, our guard would not be compromised, and our success would rule the day without question. 

We entered New York City under gloom of darkness and rain. It was an early Sunday morning in Manhattan, a time when time itself seems to stop. The only movement seen would be the occasional street zombie, ever-shuffling towards the lifeless horizon. The City was indeed asleep, and this was our chance to strike. We traversed the various avenues without impedance, and found ourselves at the staging area with time to spare. Another iconic human that should be mentioned, as his skills keeping the battle-weary vendors informed and supplied were beyond reproach, was Brendon. He allowed us to gain entry this morning, and we did so avoiding the very loading dock of doom we would be cursing later this day. Our position had the scars of yesterday’s battle, yet the parapets still stood in wait for the Final Battle today. Our Defcon banner stared forward, its guise mesmerizing to all who look upon it. It had worked its arcane skill with ultimate effect the previous day, and today would be no different. We reassembled the various effects, and rebuilt our position to its previous glory. It was quiet, too quiet, as is usual before blood is spilled and lives are committed to battle. 

We took in this serene moment, savoring the silent seconds, knowing all too well, this would change in the blink of the mind’s eye, and the clashing of warriors would commence. The standards still hung at the other vendors positions, their flags of victory waving in the still air, as if taunting the Forces of Monetary Gain that would shortly be upon us. The seconds ticked away, and the rise of the sun could be seen striking the horizon down with its fiery gaze. It was time my friends, the Gates of Hades have been opened, and the soon-to-be tortured souls descended upon the escalator. Let the games commence! 

In mere moments, the horde once again spilled their numbers out of the escalator onto the battlefield. The vendors, the Icons of Industry, some weary from the over-indulgence of fermented hops the previous night, stood firm, as for some this will be their finest day, a day to sell out all of their gastronomical weaponry, and return home with their spoils of victory, the Currency of War! Many of these Icons of Industry came from far away lands, mythical places, like California and Indiana, places written of in ancient sage’s tomes. These warriors traversed dangerous lands to join in the fury that would be released today. They came not to falter, but to rise above the fray, and be able to return to their homelands to announce to their people that they had survived the glorious battle of New York! Their trepidation cast to the wind, theirs was an unparalleled focus, honed to a razor’s edge. They saw the Forces of Monetary Gain as a wolf sees a sheep, and it was time to feed. 

This day, as stated, was a bit different than the previous day. More of the Forces of Monetary Gain were what we call “grazers”, bipeds that walk by every booth, just grabbing samples, never looking anywhere but forward, and keep walking. This happens at other shows to much more of a degree, so it was not unexpected. The Grazers are the easiest to bust on as well, as their self-focus is so strong, you can say virtually anything to them, and IF they acknowledge what you said, they just look at you with a George Romero stare. It makes the day so much more fun. 

The Grazers made their typical lemming-style passive aggressive attack, and then the true Forces of Monetary Gain made themselves known. Some of these warriors had survived Saturday, and were back to purchase a vast array of gastronomical weaponry. We slung our goods whole-heartedly at them, and they bled the Currency of War. We feasted on their life-force, our battle scars from yesterday’s battle began to mend, and we began to regain our former energy level from the previous day. My mental capacity dealing with the horde remained unscathed from the previous day’s combat, but unknown to me, lurking within the shambling horde were denizens of the worst fold, known in the industry as “Dementors”. 

These evil scourges are a bane to all they come in contact with. There are two types, yet each of them as powerful as the other. They sap mind energy very efficiently, and should be avoided at all costs. The first type of Dementor is called “The Witless Goober”. These beings “seem” to mean well, but their insidious stupidity will render even the most powerful of vendors mentally helpless. Their questions are their weapon of choice, each dire word formed from the rotting vegetation in the deepest pits of Hell. I myself have been caught unaware in the past, and have learned to spot these miscreants from some 6-8 feet away, before they can direct their attack. Their questions, like, “How do you make a pepper hot?”, seem innocuous, but do not be fooled, as this is the ice breaker, and upon answering, their spell has been cast, and the follow-up, “Why is everything hot & spicy at this show?” will start the cascade of stupidity, sapping the mental prowess of even the most stoic and virtuous. We had a few near misses on this day, Maggie deflected a Dementor attack, “Your stuff would taste really good on wings, why don’t you make a wing sauce?”. The attack nearly struck, but her immediate facepalm was enough to avoid the strike. Maggie had learned this technique during her stay at a Tibetan Monastery some years ago.

Now, the second type of Dementor, who all industry veterans are all too aware of, is known as the “Walking Weed of Disinformation”. The foul beasts usually travel alone, and their “Aura of Myopic Thinking” hides their true nature for an extended amount of time, allowing them to get close without being detected. These creatures all have a well-honed and systematic attack. They will peruse your gastronomic weaponry, reading every word on the label intensely. They will then stand there, unmoving, until given your complete attention. It is then, and only then, that they will begin their attack. They will begin to expound their limitless knowledge upon you in an unending diatribe of blissful ignorance. There are two types of “Walking Weeds of Disinformation”. The first type is the “Botanist of Boredom”, members of the ancient society within the Temple of the Sub-Genius. These highly skilled drones will want the molecular breakdown of each of the peppers you use to create your wares. They will seek out any stutter or pause and will jump down your throat quicker than sh*t through a goose, spilling forth their limitless knowledge and how there is no way you could possibly know more than they do. They speak loudly, and seek to gather other Forces of Monetary Gain, which they derive more power from so as to continue their endless drivel of self-righteous prowess. If you allow them to succeed in their attack, you will lose sales as these drones will gather more and more bipeds, until the entire front of your booth is taken up by the newly-formed believers of the Botanist of Boredom. The one sure-fire way to defeat these annoyances is to interrupt them in mid-sentence and loudly ask if they are going to buy something or not. This will pierce their Armor of Rambling, and they will deflate, and quest to find another’s ear to bend. We had a few of these creatures, although not as many as in other battles, approach the booth. Within the first sentence, I knew what I was up against. My training taught me well, and I immediately disarmed the attacker by using an ancient phrase known only to a few select individuals, usually from the NJ-NY area, “I don’t give a sh*t”. This stunned my opponent immediately, and it meandered away in blinded thought.

The second type of “Walking Weed of Disinformation” truly annoys even the most seasoned in the industry. Known as, “Speakers from The Brown Eye or Balloon-Knot Babblers”, these dolts can be spotted quite easily. They usually stand back about 5 feet from the booth, analyzing every friggin’ thing for about 5 minutes. Once they gather enough misinformation, they will make their approach. These pompous twits will push others aside so as to launch their directed attack. The first words out of their maws is a form of, “I know how to run your company better than you”. Once they have your earhole, they will ramble on in perpetuity until stopped. This is the weakest form of Dementor, and can easily be dispatched with the simple phrase, “So, why don’t you start your own company?”. They will immediately surrender their attack, and meld into the surrounding human mass. 

Meanwhile, back to the front… 

The onslaught continued. The grazers had their fill, and their numbers dwindled quickly. Within the Defcon encampment, we fended off the best of them, our revenue-driven arms flailing about, not unlike whirling dervishes, launching weaponry and secured the almighty Currency of War from the Forces of Monetary Gain. Cameramen and other war correspondents watched from afar, for a break in the action, and then closed in to learn our take on the battle. Our response was one of ultimate positiveness. The Industry Warriors were turning the tide of battle in their favor. The numbers of enemy forces was greater this day, but we, the battle-hardened Industry Warriors brought our A game. This day would be written of and spoken as lore for years to come. 

The afternoon continued, and almost systematically, the Forces of Monetary Gain found themselves devoid of any further Currency of War, and thus retreated from battle, their packs loaded with the weaponry they had come to love. The weekend was complete, and the weekend was a success, for all in attendance!

The battle was over, the spoils of victory had been attained, and the Industry Warriors had ruled the day once again! 

As the Industry Warriors dismantled their encampments, there was a great feeling in the air, one not always common at these sort of venues. I looked around, and the vendors, weary from the past 48-hours, all had their heads held high. The good vibe was palpable. Many had come to this show not knowing what the outcome was to be. Not I, I KNEW this weekend was to be legendary; there was never a second thought. 

Steve Seabury has brought something to this trade show industry I haven’t seen in years, a true passion. Steve’s dream has become a reality for many of us, and we have him to thank. I noticed an overall positive vibe all weekend from all the vendors, it was something that has been lacking for some time. I don’t profess to be an expert on these things, I’m just speaking to what I have observed, participated in, and enjoyed. To be able to pull off a show of this magnitude in one of the toughest areas to do it in, New York City, TWO years in a row, well, it’s f**king amazing! I am proud to have won a Screaming Mimi, who wouldn’t be? However, it’s not all about that, it’s showing the world that we, as an industry, are here for each other. The camaraderie in this industry is awesome, as are the people in it. We should all be proud to have friends like the ones we have around here. In addition to the industry people, there is the entire support cast, the bloggers, the media, the customers, etc. who have found their way to our niche, and share the passion we all do. If we keep true to what we know is right, this industry will do nothing but grow. 

Myself and Maggie want to thank all of you for the past weekend, it was a concerted effort in awesomeness, an effort I look forward to next year. 

Creator out………

Back