• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

the $82 fixer upper with pix

So i found something awesome on craigslist it was $60 and it came with a bearded dragon ;) i just finished fixing it up and wanted to share.

Excluding the stand it measures 4'L x 2'W x 2'H x 10''D

I am running 6500k and a 2700k in this beast cost $22 to fix even though it was working the parts where to old.

Fixed with salvania t8 lamp holders (wishing i went with t5 ho), ge pro 2 lamp ballast,1 salvania 6500k 4' t8 and 1 salvania 2700k 4' t8

Now i just need to find a good soil if my math is right i need about 6 cubic feet of soil. i will mostly be growing veg/herbs in this.

It compleat with power button, on/off timer, heat pad for soil, 2 4' t8 bulbs... and more?

Any recommendations for improvements?

Enjoy the pictures and thanks for reading.

PCvUF.jpg

old stuff ^

and the new V
ZL7lH.jpg

controls V
lhwSt.png

new fixtures V
UWC7r.jpg

the "finished" product (I have the heat plate on a riser at the moment)
AV0X8.jpg

That thing is pretty cool, never seen one before. When was it made?

Not sure when but the website is still up. Outside the website there is no info for these at all. i'll tell you one thing i cant wait to use it. im thinking of converting it to a 4 lamp t5 ho.

looks like a nice clean set up. i do the same with bulbs 1 6500K & 1 2700K T8s.

i really like the moisture meter feature.

I do too. I may end up adding a digital temp and humidity monitor. Hey are there any 2' or under pepper plants?

very cool. definatly worth putting some work into that thing.

but it seems more suited for some reptiles rather than plants. i can totally see some cool old box turtle bumbling around in there.

least you could do is replace that old control system with something new like a nice temperature controller like a 1/32 or 1/16 din eurotherm or watlow controller.
replace the old timer with a similar looking backlit digital timer of the same din like an omron h5c type.

after that... a couple of rocker switches, and you have a new aquarium controller.
if you wanted to get crazy you could look into controlling the humidity as well with some timed misters controlled by a humidistat.

you can make the panel out of some ABS or 16 gauge stainless. drill out the corners... and cut the controller spaces with a jewlers saw. if using stainless hand file a nice fillet onto the corners as well as the edges facing you.

if you really wanted to use it for plants you are going to need a different setup for the light otherwise you would need like... milk crates or something to get the plants up into the lights.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Hey are there any 2' or under pepper plants?[/background]

every plant can be 2' or less - just cut the tops off and groom the plant back, that is what i have to do. i've had 3 foot branches coming of some of dwc plants.

good luck with your growing plans.

That thing was custom made for a certain cash crop. ;)

Nice setup though, maybe you can make an adjustable height plant rack that you can raise and lower, instead of raising and lowering the lights. I'd look for aluminum wire rack shelving.

It'll at least be good for seedling starts.

You can add a fan to circulate the air.

Wow, that thing is neat! After checking out their website, you made a really excellent find, especially for that price. Now all you need is a Logan's Run poster for your wall.

LOL, I just found out the company that makes these is less than 2 hours from where I live now.

Back