• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Aji amarillo, a Peruvian Treasure!

This one came from Ajijoe, who is trying to make me eat every pepper known to man at the moment  :party: Thanks Joe!

This is an awesome C.baccatum variety. Romy6 said to me he hash`t ever met a baccatum he does`t like, so I stole the line for my videos. Thanks Jamie   :P

I loved this pepper. The flavors are so clean and sweet, the baccatum-flavour is understated but very good and the crunchy, juicy pods are just superb. It was a little hotter than I thought it would be, too. All wrapped up in my favorite colour. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrjNpZYppQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvpwCBbWBXpc-AzNlkEf8RA

Browning said:
what's the difference between the orange aji amarillo and the yellow ones? 
From what I can gather, the orange ones are the ones you find in Peru, according to friends who have been. I can also buy them in jars or frozen at the local Latino store and they are all orange like this one. 

I have not had the yellow ones, so can`t really comment on the similarities or differences. 

this is one of my top favorites, i have a few

but this one is about the most useful not that the others arent, but this ones a tasty pepper!! and not as hot as has and bhuts
the paste in hjars from the spanish dtores is wonderfull!!
orange is not my favorite color i work for Home Depot LOL

great review,,glad you enjoyed it and your welcome again

thanks your friend Joe

Well, Romy6 and Nigel are right, there isn't one baccatum that I didn' like.

Sorry for the stupid question, but why call it amarillo if there are also orange and red ones?

ajijoe said:
this is one of my top favorites, i have a few

but this one is about the most useful not that the others arent, but this ones a tasty pepper!! and not as hot as has and bhuts
the paste in hjars from the spanish dtores is wonderfull!!
orange is not my favorite color i work for Home Depot LOL

great review,,glad you enjoyed it and your welcome again

thanks your friend Joe

Ah man! I wish I caught this review earlier. I have some seeds headed my way from you, but not that one. I have seeds for the yellow variety.  I did not know about the orange better tasting variety. 

Is this one on your list Joe? 

As always another stellar review by Nigel.

SL3 said:

Ah man! I wish I caught this review earlier. I have some seeds headed my way from you, but not that one. I have seeds for the yellow variety.  I did not know about the orange better tasting variety. 

I just found out that mine should grow orange. I can't wait to give these a try.

SL3 said:

I just found out that mine should grow orange. I can't wait to give these a try.
yes this is the one on my list(orange)

thanks your friend Joe

mememe said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but why call it amarillo if there are also orange and red ones?
The "Real" Peruvian Aji Amarillo ripens to orange. It is called "Amarillo" because when you use it in cooking or salsas, the resulting color of the food/salsa is yellow-ish. For example if you have ever seen or had Papas a la Huancaina or Aji de Gallina you will notice they are yellow in color, and both of those dishes use Aji Amarillo as a primary ingredient.....and they are both AMAZING dishes to eat!

Well Nigel, Nice review, 
I thought that I could finally put a name to the C.baccatum that was given me last year, the pods went from green to yellow to a nice orange color, but its much milder than what the ones you discribed,  and if you scrape the seeds out,  it has little to no heat. So its not Aji amarillo, so maybe its a Aji pineapple?
C. baccatums are some of the best tasting peppers even the little round birdeye types have a very nice citrus like flavor to them, although the birdeyes can be quite hot compared to the larger ones.

wildseed57 said:
Well Nigel, Nice review, 
I thought that I could finally put a name to the C.baccatum that was given me last year, the pods went from green to yellow to a nice orange color, but its much milder than what the ones you discribed,  and if you scrape the seeds out,  it has little to no heat. So its not Aji amarillo, so maybe its a Aji pineapple?
C. baccatums are some of the best tasting peppers even the little round birdeye types have a very nice citrus like flavor to them, although the birdeyes can be quite hot compared to the larger ones.
I`ve had a lot more since i posted this and they are quite variable in heat. Some are hotter than Cayenne, so are slightly less than a Jalapeño. As with most baccatums I`ve had, the vast majority of the heat is in the placenta/ribs, so get rid of that and they drop down enormously in heat. I am certainly no expert in baccatums (or any other species, come to think of it), but Aji pineapple look just like Aji lemon drop, but taste slightly different. They are both bright canary yellow, not the orange of the amarillo. The only other orange one I`ve had is the Pitanga laranho, but it is a very small, blunt-ended pod that is easily habanero-heat. 

So, you still may have Aji amarillo. I believe they can get to be 6" long in some circumstances.

Thanks Nigel, at any rate its one of the few baccatums except for the orchid pepper, which has several other names, that both my mother who will be 92 next month and my sister can eat, my mom is more of a pepper eater than my sisy sister.  
Most of the pods were about 3 to 6 inches, they make a good pickled pepper also. I plan next year to grow enough to make a batch of powder with, so it should be quite tasty and not as hot " thankfully" as my mixed Infinity powder. 

wildseed57 said:
Thanks Nigel, at any rate its one of the few baccatums except for the orchid pepper, which has several other names, that both my mother who will be 92 next month and my sister can eat, my mom is more of a pepper eater than my sisy sister.  
Most of the pods were about 3 to 6 inches, they make a good pickled pepper also. I plan next year to grow enough to make a batch of powder with, so it should be quite tasty and not as hot " thankfully" as my mixed Infinity powder. 
Excellent. I need to grow more mild peppers from my wife and my Mom, so I know what you mean. I can buy them in jars at the local Latino supermarket, imported from Peru, so yes, they do stand up to preserving very well indeed. I made powder from Aji lemon drop this year and it was excellent. Much more manageable that the 7-pot douglah powder I made   :P

Back