• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum The Aji Omnicolor - the quintessential C.baccatum

This is another one from Ajijoe. Good on yer, mate!

What a fantastic pepper! It really is THE baccatum if you want to try to grow a single type next year. It is crunchy, juicy, sweet and has that indescribable baccatum flavor we all love. It`s only around Jalapeño-hot, so could be one for people who don`t love the extra heat of some other varieties. The flavor is so clean and so baccatum, it`s just perfect. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8JHD2WQEg&feature=youtu.be

Nigel said:
This is another one from Ajijoe. Good on yer, mate!

What a fantastic pepper! It really is THE baccatum if you want to try to grow a single type next year. It is crunchy, juicy, sweet and has that indescribable baccatum flavor we all love. It`s only around Jalapeño-hot, so could be one for people who don`t love the extra heat of some other varieties. The flavor is so clean and so baccatum, it`s just perfect. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8JHD2WQEg&feature=youtu.be
Great review Nigel! Very good sounding pepper!

if I had to number my favorites this one is #2(wild brazil being #1) I love this pepper!!,i have made sauce with it that was low in vinegar and salt so it would not destroy that wonderful flavor

you are correct about the flavor Nigel it is delicate and is destroyed in the cooking process they are yummy raw

you should see the plants for this one crazy prolific and would pass as a ornamental because of its random colored fruit, the beauty of this pepper is it taste the same no matter what stage you eat them in

they start out like this

CREAM
LILAC PURPLE SPLASHED CREAM
LILAC PURPLE
YELLOW (very sort time)
LIGHT ORANGE
ORANGE
RED

and the fruit is all different colors what a beautiful plant, a useful,beautiful,and prolific plant a wonderful edition to any garden

you hit the nail right on the head with this review Nigel as the English say  "SMASHINGLY GOOD!!"

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Another nice thing about the Omnicolor is its relative cold tolerance. I grew them for the first time here in Massachusetts (zone 5b) this season, and I ended up with plants 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall. I planted them outside the end of April, and they were covered with pods from July until finally brought down by a killing frost around Halloween.

Top drawer per usual Nigel. The best tasting ornamental I have grown. I got a more fruity flavor out of unripe pods,the ripe ones had a hint of tomato and chive to me. It's been a few years since I grew it,as Joe said,nothing negative I can think of about the plant.

I have been waiting to see a review on that one. I love that horseradish nasal burn, so much that I have to make it fresh now. Nice review. Want,want,want.

SL3 said:
I have been waiting to see a review on that one. I love that horseradish nasal burn, so much that I have to make it fresh now. Nice review. Want,want,want.
Our local Sushi place occasionally has real fresh wasabi root, not horseradish. It is a lot like Horseradish x10 n terms of effects and I ate a piece 1" square and thought I was dying, as I just could`t breathe. Awesome!!!

Nigel said:
Our local Sushi place occasionally has real fresh wasabi root, not horseradish. It is a lot like Horseradish x10 n terms of effects and I ate a piece 1" square and thought I was dying, as I just could`t breathe. Awesome!!!
A FEW YEARS AGO I THOUGHT I COULD EAT IT LIKE I DO SPICY FOOD  wow was i wrong!!! GAGGING COUCHING AND ALMOST LOSSING MY LUNCH EYES WATERING, LOVE THE FLAVOR THOUGH!!
sorry for shouting
thanks your friend Joe

Aji omnicolor is just so fun to grow and tastes good too!
Plants absolutely load up with pretty colors, they are easy to grow, and fast to mature.

8b6ltmy.jpg

uRVIFOX.jpg

also i noticed something interesting, the calyx bleeds to white. Maybe the bbg7 and this have similar genes for calyx.
iqrblRE.png

juanitos said:

also i noticed something interesting, the calyx bleeds to white. Maybe the bbg7 and this have similar genes for calyx.
iqrblRE.png

I just noticed that on my Dong Xuan's today. I had Aji pineapple that bleed to yellow on the calyx last year. I was impressed with it, and then someone here said its fairly common for baccatum. I can't remember who it was though.

I could do with just growing omni colors. ... pollinated amarillo and paper lanterns with omni color. Hoping one sticks. I'd love the get the color change in a larger pod. 

I am growing this year, mine are skipping the purple color stage for some reason.  They maybe just get the faintest hint of purple and then go to the next color which is orange. 

2z74adx.jpg

Back