• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Boy's 14th Birthday Party

So it's a barbecue and grill celebration for the boy's 14th. The uncle wants to grill the wings with Louisiana hot sauce. Which seems like a tragedy to me. OK, the sauce will do in a very serious pinch. But when there is planning involved that's what he goes to? Whatever, his redneck ways are not as refined as my own. So, I'm doing the burgers. I have 30 pounds of grass fed beef. Not the kind you get from the store but the real kind. Straight from the farm. Good stuff. Very lean and juicy. The flavor of the meat mostly speaks for itself. Sure I could selfishly add my sauces and wow the crowd. But I thought I would save those for finishing sauces. Since the meat is so delicious on its own, I do not want to tamper with it too much. But since The Captain is grilling the burgers it seems necessary for me to leave a signature. Here are the choices before me. A very slight hint of the following.

1. Straight dehydrated ground Douglah's. Just a sprinkle. Just enough to let people know that fairy dust is up in the burgers.
2. Smoked Habs and then deydrated and ground. They were smoked with mango, apple and tangerine. The flavor is something else. I was thinking about convincing the uncle to use this dust on the wings.
3. Douglah's marinated in Coconut aminos and brown sugar. Then smoked with cherry wood. Then dehydrated. Powdered. It's like chocolate candy to be honest. Hot as hell and sweet as hell.
4. Delightful ghost powder with a few stragglers of sugar rush and trinidads, just freshly made.

I know not everyone is for heat. But that is not my concern. They are sinners.. I'm talking to fellow chileheads. Which sprinkle would you use before grilling the burgers?

I'm with your uncle, the redneck. Those wings will probably be way more slammin than your pretentious burgers. Damn dude you sure have a way with words :lol:

Captain Caliente said:
So it's a barbecue and grill celebration for the boy's 14th. The uncle wants to grill the wings with Louisiana hot sauce. Which seems like a tragedy to me. OK, the sauce will do in a very serious pinch. But when there is planning involved that's what he goes to? Whatever, his redneck ways are not as refined as my own. So, I'm doing the burgers. I have 30 pounds of grass fed beef. Not the kind you get from the store but the real kind. Straight from the farm. Good stuff. Very lean and juicy. The flavor of the meat mostly speaks for itself. Sure I could selfishly add my sauces and wow the crowd. But I thought I would save those for finishing sauces. Since the meat is so delicious on its own, I do not want to tamper with it too much. But since The Captain is grilling the burgers it seems necessary for me to leave a signature. Here are the choices before me. A very slight hint of the following.

1. Straight dehydrated ground Douglah's. Just a sprinkle. Just enough to let people know that fairy dust is up in the burgers.
2. Smoked Habs and then deydrated and ground. They were smoked with mango, apple and tangerine. The flavor is something else. I was thinking about convincing the uncle to use this dust on the wings.
3. Douglah's marinated in Coconut aminos and brown sugar. Then smoked with cherry wood. Then dehydrated. Powdered. It's like chocolate candy to be honest. Hot as hell and sweet as hell.
4. Delightful ghost powder with a few stragglers of sugar rush and trinidads, just freshly made.

I know not everyone is for heat. But that is not my concern. They are sinners.. I'm talking to fellow chileheads. Which sprinkle would you use before grilling the burgers?

I love the boy's uncle. He calls me up on any given Saturday and says "I went to the grocery store and picked a bunch of odds and ends for you to make for lunch". He will deliberately get whacky ingredients then surprise me with the veggies and proteins to make a meal. It is quite thoughtful fun. The burgers may be pretentious but they will be good. And it's for the boy's party. Who oddly enough, loves spicy cuisine. So your comments are not helping. I'm asking for advice.

Captain Caliente said:
So your comments are not helping. I'm asking for advice.
He's giving you advice, dude. Good advice, actually. For a party that big, you need to cook to appease the masses.

You said you're getting 30lbs of ground beef, right? Are you seriously gonna make 120 Douglah burgers? Maybe make them "to order," as people ask for them. At least give them a chance to have a say in it.

Same with the wings. "Basic" Louisiana style sauce is probably what most people associate w/ wings. If you start making "challenge" wings for a group that large, I'm afraid you'll end up disappointed. Not to mention the amount of money you'd be wasting for all that food that hardly anyone's going to eat

My $0.02
:cheers:

Basically yeah. "Buffalo" wings are a classic, and are an aged cayenne sauce/butter sauce. For a kid's bday? Done. I would not call it "redneck ways" to do that. Go all crazy on the burgers and the heat, and the kids will like the wings better, even though you thought yours was better. Was what I meant.

Are these crazy daredevil kids or something? If not, let them build their own burgers. Kids love that stuff. Build a station with lettuce, tomato, onion, condiments, and your sauces. You get to get your sauces out there, and they are by choice.

We Chileheads miss the mark often. When I say "sprinkle" it is literal. We want a lot of heat. I'm talking about enough for anyone. Enough to know it is there but not enough to turn people away. 30 pounds is a lot. A dust in each batch is enough to impact the flavor but not enough to make it unenjoyable for lightweights. I was just trying to make conversation.

In other words like adding salt and pepper. It does not have to be a lot. Just enough. Assume that I know what is just enough. Which shake would you use?

Is it a party for the kids or adults? My experience is kids don’t do spicy. Ketchup, mustard, relish and cheese for the kids. It would suck to spice up all the beef, and have the kids take one bite then pitch it. Probably best to do some of the burgers without spice.
Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Caliente said:
We Chileheads miss the mark often.
you're gonna miss EVERYBODY'S mark if you go with your original plan, dude ;)

Edit: trust me. At least give the guests the option. Let them dip their toe in before jumping head first. Honestly, too much black pepper can be "too spicy" for most 'regular people,' never mind Douglahs

Or, just ruin all the food at the kid's party, haha

IMG_6838.GIF

Do whatever you want ;) :rofl:

:cheers:

Of course there are adults. Mostly adults. My boy is a metal head. Not popular enough to warrant 30 pounds of meat for snot diggers. Plus wings. Plus sides. Etc... It's family and friends. Anyway, of course there will be plain burgers and heat burgers. It seems like you folks assume a lot. Folks, I know how to cook. I was just asking which shake you would use. If you think the options suck then say so. Otherwise, enough with the judgement.

I'd build a burger station. Even for adults. Put pepper powders, pickled peppers, and hot sauce out. People like control with assembled meals like burgers. "Have it your way."

You say we have assumptions, but your original post was assuming the crowd would not like your uncle's wings. :shrug:

Back