• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The bumpier the better? or at least hotter

You guys are always sending in pictures of bumpy looking peppers and making a big deal about it. I have already figured out that the bumpier pepper types are hotter than the smooth types. I also figured that bumpier peppers of the same type should be hotter than a smoother pepper, BUT I just had to test it for myself. I grew this Moruga Scorpion pepper, and it was the most bumpy pepper that plant produced all season, and had to pull it out special.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/cycadjungle/Copyof10-11-12005_zps966dba97.jpg

I brought it for hot pepper night along with a more smooth looking one and we cut them both up. If I knew what I was going to find, I would have taken a picture of the inside as well. The entire interior of the bumpy pepper was all white, like the placenta in color. The smooth one had the white in the placenta areas, but not inbetween. It was red in those areas. Well, the bumpier pepper was WAY hotter than the smooth one.
Even though this just confirmed what I already sort of knew, but it is always good to see it (and taste it) first hand. I kept the seeds for next years growing. Everyone here seems to keep the pods for seeds that they like the looks of, and now I know why. Great stuff. Tom

I didn't know much about bumpy peppers when i noticed one of mine had them..
found out later on this site about them.. for sure there more evil / cool looking.

Back