• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Burmese Naga - very hot and painful

As I`d recently reviewed the Shabu Shabu jolokia and Naga Raja (from Jedisushi06), John Ford sent me some Burmese Naga to fill in the gap, as it were. These were found in a market in Mandalay, Burma, by Grant Hustler of Junglerain. Most of the world knows Burma as Myanmar these days. 

This was a good-sized Naga and had the typical Naga flavour, along with some initial sweetness and fruitiness that faded quickly to a mild bitterness. I enjoy some bitter flavour in food, so I didn`t find it unpleasant. it was hot right away and got very hot very quickly. Then it became downright nasty and painful, too. It has an extremely aggressive, painful burn that I have only found in a very few peppers. Madballz 7 jumps to mind. 

The Burmese Naga is the hottest Naga I`ve eaten so far. It`s certainly hotter than the Dorset Nagas or Black Nagas I`ve had. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OA_UHoCvRw&feature=youtu.be

Ahhhh!!! A hot one! Nicely done once again! this one had already made the final cut on my grow list. After seeing this I'm planting them for sure!

Awesome job describing the pods Nigel and discussing the locations as well!
I myself have reviewed the Assam and the Burmese and the Cornish Naga.
Fantastic job bud!

megahot said:
Awesome job describing the pods Nigel and discussing the locations as well!
I myself have reviewed the Assam and the Burmese and the Cornish Naga.
Fantastic job bud!
Thanks Jon, I remember you doing the Burmese and Cornish Nagas. It`s really cool how these things travel, then take on new aspects.

Nigel said:
Thanks Jon, I remember you doing the Burmese and Cornish Nagas. It`s really cool how these things travel, then take on new aspects.
Yes, I agree buddy. Next yr Id like to try a Naga Viper and a Bangle Naga if Im spelling it correctly.

Amazing!
Nagas are my favorites superhots!
What's the least sweet/fruity naga in your opinion Nigel? I tend  to get bored very rapidly by the typical chinense taste, i prefer more dry/bitter heat.

megahot said:
Yes, I agree buddy. Next yr Id like to try a Naga Viper and a Bangle Naga if Im spelling it correctly.

Bengle Naga comes from the same people that selected Dorset Naga (Sea Spring Seeds).
I've find some referring to it as Bengal Naga as well (probably more correctly named by the region).

Cya!

Datil

Great review Nigel. This one will probably make my grow list this coming year too. That will make 4 different Nagas that I will be growing next year. Love them.

Datil said:
Amazing!
Nagas are my favorites superhots!
What's the least sweet/fruity naga in your opinion Nigel? I tend  to get bored very rapidly by the typical chinense taste, i prefer more dry/bitter heat.
Least sweet and fruity Naga I`ve eaten is probably the Black Naga. The Burmese probably has the most bitterness, but I`ve only eaten 3 Burmese Nagas, all from John Ford. The Shabu Shabu is probably the mildest tasting, but has lots of aromatic components to the smell and taste. 

Have you tried a Naglah? Naga x Douglah. That one is hot, dry and bitter. 

Nigel said:
Least sweet and fruity Naga I`ve eaten is probably the Black Naga. The Burmese probably has the most bitterness, but I`ve only eaten 3 Burmese Nagas, all from John Ford. The Shabu Shabu is probably the mildest tasting, but has lots of aromatic components to the smell and taste. 

Have you tried a Naglah? Naga x Douglah. That one is hot, dry and bitter. 

Thank you for the suggestions Nigel!
I've a very late started Black Naga plant that i'll try to ow.
Never tried the Naglah (i've red/brown Bhutlah seeds though), i'll consider it as well for the next season.

Cya

Datil

How you do these reviews so close together is incredible. You have got to get some insurance on those taste buds as well as that stomach of yours. Even those ice cream tasters have insurance for their taste buds.  :onfire:

Back