• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting The cheapest fermentation weight!

Siv

Extreme Member
I ran out of glass fermentation weights yesterday so was shopping on Amazon for some more. The BETTER than Glass Fermentation Weights caught my eye and I was about to buy them as they are a lot cheaper than glass. But then I got thinking - this is something I can DIY at home for nothing.

So I rummaged around the cupboard and found some plastic cups:
50218685131_741d7e3b5e_c.jpg

Put the cup in the jar to tell me where to cut:
50218030128_50e4b055f6_c.jpg

Cut off the top and flip it over and cut a few small holes on the bottom:
50218905177_72d9c85335_c.jpg

This is my unweighted ferment:
50216511048_b8827d043f_c.jpg

And now with the plastic cups added (same amount of peppers):
50218030123_535ff34cde_c.jpg

I'm sure there is some optimization that can be done here with the right size cup but it seems to be a guaranteed way of keeping your peppers submerged in the brine. Note that my unweighted pic is basically the same volume of peppers that I can achieve with the glass weight so adding the cup does squish them down but also stops them springing back. If I can find a plastic cup with a slightly wider base, I may be able to fit more peppers into the jar which is an added bonus.

I' gonna do this for all ferments going forward. The only negative I can think of is the plastic but we're drinking for PETE bottles all the time...

Back