• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Chile Woman in Bloomington, IN

I visited the Chile Woman in Bloomington, IN today (www.thechilewoman.com) and picked up a few plants. 2 trinidad scorpions, a fatali, a datil, and 2 green tomatillos. Unfortunately she was sold out of the 7 pot and purple tomatillos, but that's understandable considering how late in the season it is. The place is smaller than I expected, just a ~15x30 foot nursery I would guess. The plants look good, nice and healthy and decent size except the fatali which is pretty small but I'll put it under a grow light in the fall, so no big deal. She was very nice, helpful and knowledgeable, and told me she's starting to work with a local seed company in Indiana that she'll send plants to and they'll isolate them and collect the seeds to send to her. Sounds like she's expanding the business next year.

It was a good experience, I'll probably do everything from seeds next year but if I need to pick up a few plants in case I have some seeds that don't germinate or something I would buy from her again. She has just about every variety of chile plant you could want and seems to be always looking for new varieties. She ships live plants all over the country for those who don't know and don't live in Indiana. Anyway, just wanted to give a shoutout to a good, privately owned, local (for me) business.

If they would have a good online shopping method set up and a better way to browse their plants (sorting by heat or or alphabetically doesn't help if I want to narrow down to, for example, Chinenses), I'd definitely check them out. Since they don't, I just stuck with CCN. And though they're "only" one state over, it's a whopping 6-plus hour drive. I'll have to pass on that. Some pictures of what to expect of each plant (especially ripe and ripening peppers) would also be helpful.

Yeah I agree Zelda, the website could use a little improvement and an easier way to order online. That's the downside of working with a small business sometimes though. I think The Hippy Seed Company is similar in that you have to fill out a form and send it in rather than order directly online. I bought some plants from Cross Country Nurseries this year too, they are great company to buy from as well.

Back