• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Chilli Seed Junkie - Beginner Hydro + more 2020 GLOG

Hey everyone, still trying to work my around the site so apologies if I've somehow messed this up or uploaded the photos wrong.

I've been growing for about 6 years, chilli growing is my special interest (I'm autistic) it's the one thing that gives me therapy and keeps me on schedule in life more than anything else, I love having the ability to learn new things at every turn & try solve challenges that arise.

Admittedly sometimes I get too carried away and hit a roadblock, this year has been somewhat like that as its a huge step up from my usual growing.

Last year I got into a conversation with general hydro Europe about a product of there's as it was recommended to me by other UK growers in the community.

In short I was having difficulty ripening some plants, it was nearing end of the year, I didn't really have space in the tent to bring them inside, just wanted them ripened and out the way.

I brought their product, it worked when I was skeptical it wouldn't, not that i don't trust my growing friends, I just question everything & want to know for myself, we ended up talking more about my goals and aspirations (always wanted to try hydro, but haven't been financially able to) & eventually it lead to being offered a sponsorship by them, which covered me for a system of my choice, substrate and nutrients.

I chose their ebb&grow, as flood and drain was the easiest introduction to it.

I've had obvious difficulties with it, as it's a massive learning curve, I've never dabbled with altering ph, measuring ec readings, let alone running a 3 part & changing up the parts depending on the plants growth stage (basically all the noob things).

But I'm getting there now, I've had a lot of help from them, other growers in the community & watching YouTube videos by people like Everest Fernandez.

Plants are still flowering / fruiting, this will be my first harvest so far from the plants in the tent.

Current setup is as follows.

* 100L ebb&grow system.
* 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0m Budbox Pro tent.
* 600w HPS with digital ballast.
* Adjust-a-Wings reflector.
* S&P intake/extractor fan.
* 12" Bloomroom fan & clip on Ram fans.

* Flora Series 3 part. (EC 2.0 - PH 5.8)
* Grow Genius Mono Sillic as a booster.
* Cocotek PX (75/25 Coco/Perlite)
* 8x Cycles a day, 4min flood, 6min drain.
* 4L Fabric Pots & some 2-11L plastics.
* Occasional Floraklean run through.

Plants currently inside the tent are.

* 7 Pot Bubblegum x Tabasco.
* 7 Pot Hornet Attack.
* Barak.
* Black Ghost.
* Black Scorpions Tongue.
* Dorset Naga Black.
* Enrico Lai Mojo Cream.
* M.A Yellow Wartryx.
* Portokolova Fifironka.
* Scotch Bonnet Whp.
* Spooky Rabbit Faces.
* Takanotsume.
* Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Spider.
IMG_20200518_210343.jpg
IMG_20200517_014726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_211017.jpg
    IMG_20200518_211017.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20200519_231613_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20200519_231613_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200512_192825.jpg
    IMG_20200512_192825.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200429_113211.jpg
    IMG_20200429_113211.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 109
Devv said:
I say well done!

This is my first year trying any hydro, and I've been gardening since 1982 (yes old I am).

I'm testing on Lettuce..LOL

Good luck on your grow, I'm sure it will turn out well ;)
Hey Scott, thanks for the kind words they really mean a lot, especially from a long term pepper grower.

What kinda hydro are you testing out system wise?

I hear lettuce and leafy greens are amazing to grow in hydro, no doubt you'll be swimming in so many that not even a family of rabbits could get through it.

Let's hope so, the Annums currently are just insane, ie the big tree things.

The one that was taken outside for a photo is a black Scorpions tongue, now has around 60 pods on it and the grow tent tree is a Barak with around 30+

I'd say you are getting the hydro thing down
pretty well, CSJ! Plants really look good, and
pod production is awesome under that light.

Is the dark foliage plant with the purple
flower the Black Scorpion's Tongue? Looks
like it is podding up nicely.

PaulG said:
I'd say you are getting the hydro thing down
pretty well, CSJ! Plants really look good, and
pod production is awesome under that light.

Is the dark foliage plant with the purple
flower the Black Scorpion's Tongue? Looks
like it is podding up nicely.

Hey Paul, thank you for the kind words it's very nice of you to say and it's good to hear that I'm not living in a bubble about them. 

But yes as much as I hate the HPS for the costs it takes to run, it definitely does give an insane amount of production in regards to fruits. 

The dark foliage is indeed the Black Scorpions Tongue, that photo was taken around 2 weeks ago I believe, I'll upload some more photos when I get a chance. 

thechilliseedjunkie said:
Hey Scott, thanks for the kind words they really mean a lot, especially from a long term pepper grower.

What kinda hydro are you testing out system wise?

I hear lettuce and leafy greens are amazing to grow in hydro, no doubt you'll be swimming in so many that not even a family of rabbits could get through it.

Let's hope so, the Annums currently are just insane, ie the big tree things.

The one that was taken outside for a photo is a black Scorpions tongue, now has around 60 pods on it and the grow tent tree is a Barak with around 30+
I'm using some storage bins I bought at Walmart. I bought a 4 pack. I guess I'm running a modified Kratky system with an air-pump and air stones.
I'm using 2" netpots with rapid rooters, I can get 6 Lettuce plants per container. They hold 2 gallons of mix. I use the GH Flora series, and start the mix with the seedling dosage, and up the dosage to full strength when the plants get about 4-5"s tall.
I went this route so I don't have to go into the store for produce with the COVID everywhere. I don't have a use for hydro for peppers at this time with our climate, as I can almost grow outside all year long.
Veggie greens would be a fall, or very early spring crop here. Lettuce would bolt with our current temps.

Back