"The CHOCOLATE Reaper"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would prefer this to be in the proper forum, but it seems no matter what i post its considered "Promotion"....mods please place in correct place if not here....

I guess it was going to happen at some point out there in the world, so why not here in Florida at Baker's Peppers?? :)

I was out walking through "The Reaper" section in my shadehouse today and I happen to notice one particular plant out of the corner of my eye..... So I walked over and got a closer look....Reached out and "snapped" a ripe pod off the plant...My eyes were correct!!!

A CHOCOLATE REAPER PLANT!!

This plant had about 15 ripe pods on it and they were ALL deep chocolate in color! There is also about 40-50 more about to be ripe in a week or so. I harvested all the fully ripe peppers and went STRAIGHT to the processing facility to begin seed removal/drying from these AWESOME looking peppers! I harvested enough seed to start about 200 new plants from these and they will be started in a few days :)

Im posting this to kinda let people know it has happened, and that we are trying to grow out this variety in hopes to make it available to the public :)

I do also have extra seeds and i will make it available on our website (Update coming within 24 hours). Im not going to guarantee much from these seeds, as they are strictly accidental to my knowledge at this point. Im making them available to anyone who may want to try to grow them and try their luck! :) May grow more of the same looking pods, may not. I WILL however guarantee that the seeds you will be sent if purchased DID come from pods that look just like these pictured bellow and are off this very plant im speaking of now (This plant is no longer out in the general population, it is now in isolation.)

Also, im leaving this open to discussion, as i would like to see the members and visitors input on this topic :) Like i said, im not claiming i invented a new pepper or anything even close to that, this is just an accidental thing i found growing out in the "Reaper" section...... Worth trying to grow out and stabilize??? ABSOLUTELY!!! :)

I tried a little slice.....heat is a 10+!!!

Pics below.....

Sizzling Salutations!,
Dale Baker Jr
Baker's Peppers LLC
www.BakersPeppers.com
@BakersPeppers on Twitter
www.Facebook.com/BakersPeppers

Attachments

• IMG_20140603_094510.jpg
    IMG_20140603_094510.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20140603_094541.jpg
    IMG_20140603_094541.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20140603_145547.jpg
    IMG_20140603_145547.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20140603_145410.jpg
    IMG_20140603_145410.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 88
mmcdermott1 said:
100% agree awesome pods. Also 100% sure those are Trinidad scorpion chocolate. I've had seeds for years that grow the exact same pods.

Actually the below pictured peppers are our Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate...also available via our website. Not really even close Mike....

I found this plant out amongst the whole section of "Reapers"...with ZERO chance it was originally planted as a "Chocolate Scorpion"...plus EVERY pod on the plant looks like these. Ive found that my "Chocolate Scorpion" plants are WAY more hit or miss when it comes to "uniform appearance"....

Im not saying i found the holy grail or anything. Not saying i deserve some sort of medal or award. Im simply stating the FACTS of what ive found out on my property. Further more Mr.McDermott.....how can u say 100% ANYTHING sitting in your house in Ohio?? Im holding the pods in my hand, taking pictures, deseeding them....ALL the way down here in Florida.....

Like i said, im just posting what ive found.....not trying to start some CRAZY thing here.......BTW hows your seasn going Mike? Havent spoke in a while.....

Dale Jr

Attachments

• IMG_7214.jpg
    IMG_7214.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 78
Because I've seen the exact same variant of the TS chocolate years ago that's how. I've also grown the exact same pods.
Scorpions over the years have kind of lost their "tail". What your showing is why they were named "scorpion" to start with. Everyone has just gotten use to the fatter tails.

Kind of like your above pic. I see the far left kinda has a fat dull tail. The others have none at all. Why do you think they are called scorpions?

And my initial response was nothing personal. Just saying that's what a scorpion should look like

All im saying is that i found this single plant in my "Reaper" section......The pods pictured in my original post look NOTHING like a "Trinidad Scorpion Chocoloate", but do look WAY more like a "Chocolate Reaper" in comparison....the pics dont lie guys :) If you think those pics in my original post here look like just plain ol "Chocolate Scorpion" then i am gonna stop right there........since when did "Chocolate Scorpion" look like a Reaper but "brown" colored??? Look at the wrinkles...look at the tails....ive grown tens of thousands of "Chocolate Scorpions" to date...not a SINGLE one looked like these.............................

As you were guys :)

Im not into patents and such...i just grow peppers and sell to the masses :) Records and things like that are not what im after....just trying to feed my kids and take care of my family :)

BakersPeppers said:
All im saying is that i found this single plant in my "Reaper" section......The pods pictured in my original post look NOTHING like a "Trinidad Scorpion Chocoloate", but do look WAY more like a "Chocolate Reaper" in comparison....the pics dont lie guys :) If you think those pics in my original post here look like just plain ol "Chocolate Scorpion" then i am gonna stop right there........since when did "Chocolate Scorpion" look like a Reaper but "brown" colored??? Look at the wrinkles...look at the tails....ive grown tens of thousands of "Chocolate Scorpions" to date...not a SINGLE one looked like these.............................

As you were guys :)

I think it is a cool little discovery.. though, judging by your photos, they don't look near as wrinkled & bumpy as regular Reapers. They look much more smooth, which is akin to the Scorpions. Maybe the seeds came from a mistaken cross-pollination or maybe it's some genetic anomaly - still a cool thing to share.

I'd say the ruffled feathers coming about from your post, if any, is that you did put it under "Promotions" and did basically put advertising your business before showing off the discovery. If you were just looking to share something cool you discovered (such as you are saying), then just focus on that and if people want to know more (like where to get 'em) then they'll ask and then you can let 'em know. Focus on the discovery :)

Super Hots Canada said:

I think it is a cool little discovery.. though, judging by your photos, they don't look near as wrinkled & bumpy as regular Reapers. They look much more smooth, which is akin to the Scorpions. Maybe the seeds came from a mistaken cross-pollination or maybe it's some genetic anomaly - still a cool thing to share.

I'd say the ruffled feathers coming about from your post, if any, is that you did put it under "Promotions" and did basically put advertising your business before showing off the discovery. If you were just looking to share something cool you discovered (such as you are saying), then just focus on that and if people want to know more (like where to get 'em) then they'll ask and then you can let 'em know. Focus on the discovery :)

Great post, and reflective of my own and what I am certain is a lot of other views...

EDIT: Regardless of origin, it's still a badass looking pod.  :D

BakersPeppers said:
All im saying is that i found this single plant in my "Reaper" section......

Doesn't mean much considering some of the "_________" section plants that you've sold and have turned out to be something else. Especially since you also grow Choc Scorps!

Pretty cool if it is but who knows. Nice looking pods though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back