• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The curse of the gloomy first year

So for all those that know me, it is Friday and I had last night off so I wake at 6:45 to the beginning of what looks to be unfolding of a great 3 day weekend. First I went out to split some of the neighbors silver maple that the tree company put in my back yard....in stove length cuts....just needing split!.....WIN!. I got the fire pit opened and a little fire going with dry wood I had covered. Now there is a bonfires worth of wood drying and smoking on top of that little fire.

Now to the point....I was remembering my first year. It was plant out week and all gloomy. Prediction was for gloom gloom rain gloom wind gloom and for good measure a little gloom. So being the newb I was I planted out. What is hardening???? The following year plant out week was sun sun sun heat sun light clouds and some more sun. As most can guess, that year I had nice white gardens of death 4 days after plant out. But back to the point, I have noticed with early spring weather this year hardening was easier and today's gloom got me thinking of my first year. To all the new people to this gardening addiction thing. :) Harden your plants well even in overcast. They need the UV ray exposure IMO. gloomy skies on plant out day is great if you didn't harden, BUT if the next day is a blasting sunny day every unmovable, uncovered, defenseless baby in the ground may get cooked. Now that second year I started a lot from seed after the the great white out. About 20% of what went all white and leafless made a comeback. Makes for a mixed up garden if out of hope you don't pull those. Just wanted to put this out to the new people. Gloomy 5 day stretches can make for wonderful hardening, but beware of those bright sunny days until they are ready for it. Yeah I know this is old news to most so let's enjoy this weekend wherever you are.

I am planting this weekend. Just built my raised garden which I will probably post pics of later. This is my first year doing a garden... So, please excuse my ignorance. What is hardening? Is that just slowly breaking in the plants to be able to deal with long term sunlight?

Silver Maple too AB.

Yes Westin it is getting your pants ready to handle the sun. Many articles about it. An hour or 2 a day with observation to insure not too much if any white leaf. One member said that last year they hardened 200+ plants in 1 day.. Direct sun for 30 minutes to an hour....shade till they perk up after around an hour...back in the direct sun....repeat. Many different methods.

Wow. It is the little things like that... I would have never thought about it... Thanks a bunch for the clarification. :)

Back