• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The Dancing Plant (Desmodium Gyrans)

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
So i've started some dancing plants from seed and 4 of the 8 planted have sprouted so far. I just moved them under some CFL lighting for the time til I can figure out exactly what they require. I plan on selling these plants at my stand next season so basically i'm just experimenting right now because I've never grown them. I've been reading conflicting advice on how to care for them. Some sources say they need full sun and heat but other sources say they do really well indoors and are very sensitive to sun. Does anyone have any experience growing these? And if so, what works?

Edmick said:
So i've started some dancing plants from seed and 4 of the 8 planted have sprouted so far. I just moved them under some CFL lighting for the time til I can figure out exactly what they require. I plan on selling these plants at my stand next season so basically i'm just experimenting right now because I've never grown them. I've been reading conflicting advice on how to care for them. Some sources say they need full sun and heat but other sources say they do really well indoors and are very sensitive to sun. Does anyone have any experience growing these? And if so, what works?
I have mine indoors under lights in a warm room. HOWEVER, the first one I had was in something that made it finicky. It started dying, and only kept a small handful of leaves near the ends of the branches. I transplanted it into slightly larger pot with no success. So I cut the branches off and they rooted in water quickly and started going crazy with growth not long after that. One of them got planted in a pot, and he's doing pretty well. The other two were in water until about 45 minutes ago, and they were really not doing well at all after a month or two. Best reason I can think of is that the plants absolutely hate being root bound and flip out if it starts happening to them.

As for the one that does really well is actually really straightforward. It's about six to eight inches high, fairly branchy and keeping its lower leaves, and is potted in a 4 inch pot with normal potting mix. I can look at the brand if you want. It gets watered mostly with hard well water, but sometimes with rain. Fertilized infrequently. They don't seem to like the cold, and consistent lighting is important because they "memorize" the lighting schedule and it takes a few days for them to learn a new one. They will fold up for the night even while the lights are still on if the lights were off by that time yesterday and the day before, and it's the same story with them unfolding for the day.

Here's a little update on my dancing plants that I started from seed. A couple of them are about 8 inches tall now and rockin out to rammstein in this video.

https://youtu.be/8lPq9p8pUbk

Usually my wife doesn't care a thing about my plants and gardening but even she likes watching the dancing plants rock out to music.

Back