• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Dangers of over-engineering

PaulG

eXtreme
I needed a tool to help extract root plugs from starter cells, so I got pliers, steel wire and some copper wire. I had a picture of what I wanted in my mind before I started. So 20 minutes later, this is what I had:

DSCN3529a.jpg

It's a beauty, yes? It didn't work worth a darmn. Too stiff, and the fork part kept twisting around.
It now makes a great cultivator for small pots and even starter cells.

So, back to the drawing board - 30 seconds later, I had this:

DSCN3530a-1.jpg

Some of you saw this in my grow log, and wanted to know about it. It works great! Flexible, yet stable - no twisting. Perfect. If this was a government contract the first one would have cost $750US. And not been worth a :silenced:

The other one would have been a give away and worked great. So, beware. Don't overthink this stuff :crazy:

I use a mechanical pencil, but I guess a pen or any pencil would work fine. Stick it in the corner between the plug and the tray and place pressure against the plug and lift. Works like a charm.

Excellent solutions, fellas! Why make a tool when you can
just get one out of your drawer, or off your window!

my favorite seedling tool is a large bamboo shish kabob skewer...pointy on one side blunt on the other. I use it to plant my seeds...blunt end makes the perfect pepper seed sized hole and also works well to tamp the soil down. I then use the pointy end to gently remove the soil to check for hooks because I am too impatient...it aerates as well! Plus, I'll bet it would be a great plug puller!

Great ideas - any more out there? Isn't it great having opposable thumbs?

Back