• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Day Of The Tree Roots!!!

I'm just in the process of building a 6' by 6' raised bed in the garden (about 18" deep) and on digging down a bit I've discovered quite a few tree roots, how do people stop them getting in? I've heard mixed responses on the effectivity of certain methods such as plastic root barriers, digging trenches around the bed and even concrete (the latter two won't be an option for me). I'm thinking if I dig up the bed every year just before I'm about to plant, cut back any encroaching roots that have grown and then replenish the soil with nutrients that the tree roots may have stolen, my plants should be ok in the bed for 3 or 4 months until the season is over when I'll repeat the process the following year?

I don't mind the work of digging the soil up every year as long as it will stop my beds becoming overwhelmed with tree roots and keep my plants from being adversely effected, what are peoples experiences with this?

Cheers

Matt

I have the same issue with a backyard bed. I just watered and applied the fish emulsion every other time. I had no extra issues related to the tree roots. I did a lazy mans plant out as I put my extra Bishops Hats, Taz REds and bird peppers last season. You can always use cardboard or 3-5 layers of Newspaper. Wrapping fish or layering a garden is all the Newspapers are good for most days ! A seasonal garden probably wont be effected by the roots. Have a great 2012 season and overwinter at least 1 plant !!!

I have the same issue with a backyard bed. I just watered and applied the fish emulsion every other time. I had no extra issues related to the tree roots. I did a lazy mans plant out as I put my extra Bishops Hats, Taz REds and bird peppers last season. You can always use cardboard or 3-5 layers of Newspaper. Wrapping fish or layering a garden is all the Newspapers are good for most days ! A seasonal garden probably wont be effected by the roots. Have a great 2012 season and overwinter at least 1 plant !!!

Hi mgib, I'm thinking that's what I'll do u kno, line the bottom with some cardboard and or a few bits of newspaper. Maybe the amount of sh*t there is in the Newspapers will act as a good fertilizer ;). When I first thought about the root problem I was panicking a bit but realising I only need to keep them out til the seasons over then I can just dig up and snip any intruders off next year, it doesn't seem so daunting

Back