• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried The Dried Chocolate Bhut infused Canola Oil Thread

This is fun:

I showed my stepbrother my "stash" of dried Bhuts and he was wondering what we could do with them. He dumped out of a 5 oz bottle of some weak chili oil and we washed the bottle. We then filled the bottle with Canola oil. He thought the neutral nature of the oil made it a good choice. I then put 2 pieces of dried Chocolate Bhuts in the bottle. As I halved all the pods before dehydrating, this is the equilavent of 1 pod. I then shook the bottle well. This was 2 hours ago. Some particles have fallen to the bottom of the bottle, but most of the matter remains near the top.

I'll post back, letting forum members know if the infusion took, making the oil hot. My queston for the experienced infusers is the following: If this is to work, how long will it take. Should I leave the bottle on a shelf for a few weeks, or can I try it right away? Thanks

I believe its a couple weeks and then you take it out, but trying it right now wouldnt do any harm. It just woudnt be as hot or flavorful.. TBH I think they are pretty bad (chocolate bhuts) but they ARE hot..

It was a fun experiment, but the results were disappointing: After thirty seven days, the infused oil had some kick to it, but it did not come close to representing the intense heat or flavor of the chocolate bhut. It was like store bought chile oil, with a drop more heat. The other disappointing feature was the lack of staying power. The heat did not linger at all. To top it off, Canola Oil has no taste, so id didn't add anything to the flavor.

I know many use halved pods, I have found making them into powder works better. I also only use oils that I cook with as well. Keep us posted!

Maybe I'll try this for my next infusion experiment. Something was wrong with the science of what I did. One Chocolate Bhut Pod should have heated up 5oz of Oil a lot more

I prefer extra-virgin olive oil for infusions. Use bone-dry peppers, put in infusion in a glass jar and leave for at least 3 weeks in a dark cool place.
Add a slice of garlic if you like it. No need to cook anything.

Cya

Datil

At least Olive Oil has a taste. My brother wanted to use Canola Oil as it is neutral. I don't like garlic so i will leave it out. It will shortly be time for a new infusion.

Second on the olive oil. I've done that for years with store bought chilis, usually break them up before I put them in the oil so I get flakes in if I want when drizzling over homemade pizza, etc. learned it from a Sicilian chef/resteraunt owner I know.

Back