• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The Edible Backyard Project

I rent the home I live in, So I did not want to invest in a multi year project at my own home.
A friend generously offered to let me to transform his wild, untended South Carolina backyard into an edible landscape.
I hope you enjoy following our progress in this project.

These pictures were taken after a large amount of the under brush was removed.

This is almost dead center of the yard. It used to have a bird bath and some sort of flower bed. Now it is over grown with magnolia saplings and other mixed shrubs.

SAM_1530.JPG

This section of the yard I plan to build up under the oak tree with good soil and plant the wild roses, may apple and a some of the native flowers. The roses I chose are hardy simple roses that smell heavenly and produce rose hips that  are great in tea. The Pawpaw trees may also end up in this section, but I am not sure yet.
SAM_1531.JPG

This is where we will do our raised bed garden. This is the start of the first of three beds that will be used to grow most of the vegetables other then peppers and tomatoes. ( most of those will be in containers)
SAM_1532.JPG

A slightly better view of the yard.
SAM_1535.JPG

I have mulberry, elderberry and pawpaw  saplings already and am starting from seed several more exotic shrubs and small trees.
There is so much work to do just to have it cleared enough to start building up areas.

We will try to have a water element by the time we finish this project and the plans may evolve and  change as we learn more about what we can successfully grow in this yard. 

Looks like a really nice start. Dont forget to get a level, maybe a long board, and a flat shovel to help you get those bricks level. I think I would like to maybe try and do a couple of those myself. Good idea there Cheri!

Student of Spice said:
Looks like a really nice start...Good idea there Cheri!

Comptine said:
I think this is a really cool project you've got there! 
Thank you both. I am very excited about this project.  I love to see the over time changes that a project like this brings, and getting to grow some of the more tropical fruits and such will make it even better.
If anyone has suggestions please let me know. The plans are still fluid enough to shift some things around at this point.

I'm from a slightly colder climate, but we have several apple and plum trees in our yard, and they are always a big hit. Good thing about trees is that they take care of themselves most of the time. I'm not very good at decorative plants, I like all of mine to be edible in some way. But if you're looking for pretty additions I'd say elderflower and jasmine bushes, and maybe cherry blossom trees? Maybe currant (red or black) and blueberry bushes? We have both at our house. 

Pawpaws, elderberries, mulberries? Count me in! I'll be watching this for sure. Some other ideas for plants that will do well under that tree canopy would be serviceberries. They do well in shade (some of the best tasting fruit, imo also). Raspberries or blackberries would love a partly sunny spot on the edge of a treeline, too. 
     This will be a fun project, for sure!  :dance:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Spent Mother's Day out working on the backyard.

The friend spent most of the afternoon cementing the blocks together on the raised bed. It is now ready to receive soil this week.
IMG_20160508_181953820.jpg

Managed to strip most of the Kudzu from one fence line, and found wild blackberry and wild grapes!
IMG_20160508_175443534.jpg

Got a good section of the tangle of the center of the yard cleared. After removing miles of Kudzu and a thorny type vine I found several plants worth relocating.
The little Magnolia and Holly trees will find new homes.The rest will be relocated in the yard.
IMG_20160508_174700039.jpg

IMG_20160508_175529150.jpg

IMG_20160508_175514775.jpg

IMG_20160508_175645663.jpg

Over all it was a very productive day. It also showed me just how much work is left to finish to even really get started :)

Comptine said:
Hey Cheri, how's the garden project coming along? I feel like it's time for an update! 

Sorry everyone. I have been slack in updating this project.

No big progress on the looks of the yard. I have gotten most of the small trees I want to find new homes for up and potted so I can take them away. The rest are slated for removal over the summer.

The young fruit trees are doing well in containers. They will be planted out next spring.

The Mulberries

IMG_20160601_110239207.jpg

Elderberries look happy and healthy now that they are in their own individual containers.
IMG_20160601_110244839_HDR.jpg

I had three fig saplings, but one just never grew and finally died. These two are doing well now.
IMG_20160601_110300399.jpg

The Sikkim Cucumbers are loving the raised bed, and I like how the vine looks draped over the edge of the bed.
IMG_20160612_084414971_HDR.jpg

I have a small portion of the raised bed planted.  Various beans, greens, herbs and even some dwarf sweet corn.
IMG_20160612_084425565_HDR.jpg

Inside I have some of the stuff started from seed. Most of these will take till next spring to even be close to ready to plant out.
IMG_20160612_092242335.jpg

Update 6-12-16 cont.

IMG_20160612_092308881.jpg

IMG_20160612_092317744.jpg
IMG_20160612_092329924.jpg

The mango trees will be able to be planted in the spring.  I have a very long wait for fruit from most of these started from seed lol

IMG_20160612_092345495.jpg

The battle with Kudzu continues and I am sure it will be a never ending thing.

Back