• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

travel The Great 2021 StettoMoveBlog

Egad. No, really...

We haven't moved in 12 years. Unbelievable the stuff that accumulates in that amount of time. We sold just about every piece of furniture but the Sleep Number bed and a pub table, all my big-ticket power tools are gone, yet we're overwhelmed with stuff. There's a three yard dumpster in the driveway that's been emptied SEVEN TIMES, yet we're overwhelmed with stuff. I've been busy trying to get the house ready for the market, so I have yet to pack the music studio, the grow & pepper equipment, my workshop and the "armory", and the realtor is putting the sign up a week from Monday?

And we have nowhere to put it all when we get there.

I'm not enjoying being overwhelmed with stuff. I had my right shoulder reconstructed 7 or 8 years ago, and the day before yesterday I blew out my left. Timing, folks, timing...:banghead:

So I have a brace ordered and am doing what I can with the one arm, overwhelmed with stuff as we are.

Why is everything so doggone HEAVY??!!??

More to come, trust me. More to come...

...did I mention being overwhelmed with stuff?:seeya:

When we moved we bought and closed on the new house before selling/closing on the old house. If you use uhaul and rent a large truck, they will give you 1 month of free storage at the new location. In the end, I left thousands of dollars of things behind that didn’t fit in the last load, the guys helping me had a field day!
As far as your armory items, I was lucky enough to have a gs near by with storage lockers for rent for those things. We didn’t want any of that in the house when showing it.

When we moved we bought and closed on the new house before selling/closing on the old house. If you use uhaul and rent a large truck, they will give you 1 month of free storage at the new location. In the end, I left thousands of dollars of things behind that didn’t fit in the last load, the guys helping me had a field day!
As far as your armory items, I was lucky enough to have a gs near by with storage lockers for rent for those things. We didn’t want any of that in the house when showing it.

Really good info, SB, I appreciate it!! A lot of the peripheral armory sundries are in a locked closet, but the toys are in a hefty safe that won't be going anywhere till we move. The contents will be babysat, along with a collection of musical instruments, by a long-time trusted friend. But the gs locker idea will work great once we get to CO.

I plan on a one-trip move. The wife decided that we have enough $$ to hire a moving company, and I ain't aginnit. I'll still tow my valuables personally, though.

I know, looks good on paper...

Oh, and though we've got a realtor out there working on it, the market is so hot that homes are going in under 4 days. Buying first may not be possible...

Last edited:
She's turned Joan Crawford on me--"NO CARDBOARD BOXES!!!"

We're putting everything in totes, 15 gallon, 18 gallon, 27 gallon, 30 gallon, 35 gallon, 45 GALLON!! The larger ones do have wheels, but it's starting to look like a warehouse around here, and I haven't started on my tools or gardening stuff yet--My kids are getting Sterilite totes for their inheritance...

We had to move our listing date to Nov 1. My lost shoulder is the main culprit, but there was no way the place would be ready today. The brace works great as long as I don't move my arm :doh: I have a buddy who comes to help on weekends, but half the productive part of the day outside all he wants to do is shoot skeet and blow up plastic milk jugs.

At least I got the last of the peppers in and took the time to smoke the Serranos.

Floor guys guaranteed a one-day install when they showed up last Thursday. Then Friday evening they said they'd be back Monday morning to finish up...Someone ain't makin' no dough on me...

Awright, I got primin' and painting to do....

Deadline for listing this old horse tac shed is a week from today. We finally got the kitchen floor finished last Friday
20211020_154059.jpg

There's a war going on with the listing price, the realtor wants a quick sale and we want what this old barn will sell for. Obviously we will win, it's a lot easier to drop a price than raise it...

But in the mean time this old man with one arm and no knees has his work cut out...still.
16351785288191288133379.jpg

1635178631149557349275.jpg
1635178664973501917458.jpg
1635178800139241299556.jpg

I've wanted to burn the old tamarac shed for 12 years and never had time or the money. Someone will have to buy the thing to do it themselves..
16351789280611309622156.jpg

But yeah, one way or the other one we go for sale next Monday...

Ok, back on my knees, got grout to finish...
16351792434921910580257.jpg

Well, two days to market and the One-Armed Handyman (me) has decided to up the ante with the toothache from hell. Very distracting, indeed. I talked a dentist about 50 miles away to get me in on Wednesday morning.

Until then my tongue is my own worst enemy.

When we made the transatlantic move, my wife went ahead while I stayed behind to "deal with the details". I arranged a yard dumpster for anything that could not be used anymore. It was emptied twice. Anything that still could be used but not sold for more than a few coppers was collected by a thrift shop chain. I'm talking about clothes (no need of EU winter clothes in the tropics), outdated furniture, ... I also sold some stuff online: some electronics (incompatibility issues), authentic WW2 propaganda material (war quality paper and tropics don't combine well), car ... I stuffed a sea container with the things we I wanted to get across. While I still believe I did a great job, my wife still reminds me of all the things that didn't make it :whistle: My usual reply is that even now there is no room to put more junk, and I should have left more stuff behind.

:flamethrower:

When we made the transatlantic move, my wife went ahead while I stayed behind to "deal with the details". I arranged a yard dumpster for anything that could not be used anymore. It was emptied twice. Anything that still could be used but not sold for more than a few coppers was collected by a thrift shop chain. I'm talking about clothes (no need of EU winter clothes in the tropics), outdated furniture, ... I also sold some stuff online: some electronics (incompatibility issues), authentic WW2 propaganda material (war quality paper and tropics don't combine well), car ... I stuffed a sea container with the things we I wanted to get across. While I still believe I did a great job, my wife still reminds me of all the things that didn't make it :whistle: My usual reply is that even now there is no room to put more junk, and I should have left more stuff behind.

:flamethrower:

We have a 3-4 yard dumpster as well, going on our 9nth empty this Thursday. Most of the work here has been hauling stuff either there or to the landfill. We want to move light, and I still doubt we'll be anything like it. Only furniture will be my pub table and a sleep number bed, and of course the Winchester safe.

Anyone want to buy my house? Here 'tis

my house

Now don't fight over it, folks. There are a few drone pics that turned out pretty snazzy; you can even see the bruise where the eighth acre veggie garden was and where the half-of-an-eighth-acre garden is now.

Dentist tomorrow. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Dammit, shit is moving fast. Our house hussler says we might expect an offer today or tomorrow.

The darlin' bride got a job offer yesterday, from the FIRST outfit she sent a resume.

A friend in the Springs is considering selling us a one acre lot on Cheyenne Mt. I may get to meet Jack O'Neal and Teal'c yet...

And the one-armed guy sits here watching it all in FF.

And I'm STILL not done...

So I guess, considering my blown out left cuff, that we're hiring a moving cump'ny.

Last time we did that was a move in 1991 from Cheyenne WY to Tempe AZ. We used North American: nightmare from start to finish. They showed up a day late, gorilla'd half our stuff into their truck, and then showed up in AZ a full week late. There's more, but I don't want to relive...

So, with a bit more than a little intrepidation, I agreed to hire United this time. We are assumeably out of here on or about Dec. 1, house sold or no.

I may even have my necessaries done by then, but no guarantees.

We're still blessed with decent weather, not a flake of snow yet. I suppose we should find a dammed place to live out west.

Have I ever advised against moving across the country by the seat of your pants? If not, I do so now...

Back