• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Hotter the Pepper

Is it true if the smaller the pepper the hotter it's going to be?
Because i ate a ghost chilli ( Naga jolokia ) and it was about an inch long and i puked yet my other friend ate a bigger one and was totally fine?
please help

There are too many variables to give a difinitive answer, other than your bud could take it better. But, Hey :welcome: from central CA. There is a wealth of info on peppers here and great folks.

Is it true if the smaller the pepper the hotter it's going to be?
Because i ate a ghost chilli ( Naga jolokia ) and it was about an inch long and i puked yet my other friend ate a bigger one and was totally fine?
please help
i thought and have herd the bhut jolokia is also called the ghost chilli by its other name

Logchief said it in a nut shell, too many variables.

Just for fun sometime, get 6 jalapenos from any one source, (store, farmers market, garden), cut them up and sample each one and see how much of a difference there is between individual pods.

and WELCOME!
:welcome:

huh, I think it also might depend on how much attention was given to the plant, tolerance(?), and well the SHU depends sometimes in diff pods or maybe it crossed? eh i don't know could be a millions of explanation on it, but who knows ......

and :welcome: from Alaska!! :D

Quite often the smaller varieties of chiles are hotter than larger varieties but there is always lots of exceptions to the rule.
As for different sized pods of the same variety, pod size should not be a factor for the amount of heat within a chile. Its mostly genetics that determins heat levels although environmental factors(stressing) can increase heat too, and then there's the maturity of the pods which can make a huge difference

Small chiles are hard to de-seed and de-placenta.

Larger chiles are easy to de-seed and de-placenta reducing the picante.

I am referring to the natural size of the chiles and not size variation of the same chile.

Well, the tabasco and Pimenta de Cheiro weren't as hot as a typical orange habanero to me, but they're surprisingly hot for their tiny size; some were noticeable hotter than others, though (and at least for the tabascos the bigger ones usually seemed to me like the hotter ones). And then there were the red habanero-sized Zavory and Aji Dulce 2 which might have been just a bit hotter than a banana pepper, nowhere near the heat of store-bought jalapenos around here though. And then... there were the Jalapeno M and Biker Billy Hybrid jalapenos I grew last year, which literally kicked my ass in ways I haven't seen a habanero do (maybe because I'm used to habaneros, maybe the different effects of the different capsaicinoids...). In reality, the guys who said "too many variables" are probably spot-on.

As far as the size doesn't matter issue (with peppers anyway), one word...CHILTEPIN. Small little buggers will burn you right up. :mouthonfire: Definitely one of my favorites!

Logchief said it in a nut shell, too many variables.

Just for fun sometime, get 6 jalapenos from any one source, (store, farmers market, garden), cut them up and sample each one and see how much of a difference there is between individual pods.

and WELCOME!
:welcome:
You said it plain and simple " Salsa Lady"

i thought and have herd the bhut jolokia is also called the ghost chilli by its other name

As far I knew is that the bhut jolokia and naga jolokia are the same pepper and that ghost pepper is a mistranslation, there still seems to be a lot of confusion despite how much it gets discussed.

Naga jolokia just means Nagaland pepper/chile, and there are many peppers from nagaland which fit into the category.
The term "Ghost pepper" as far as I'm concerned covers all the naga/bhut types. Its probably just become easier to have one English-friendly name to use instead of several different unfamiliar Indian terms. Americanization at its best although I believe it was called "ghost pepper"(or its Indian translation) long before anyone in these parts had heard of them

Back