• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The Ides of March

Et tu, Brute?

Our official Frost Free Day is eight weeks from now! It's time for us Southern Buckeyes to get into sowing seeds that will become seedlings and then plants!

This evening, I managed to sow about 400 Ruby Red Swiss Chard seeds. 200 of them are for my garden, maybe more. Half of them went into 200-cell nursery trays, the others were mass sown and will be transplanted if they germinate, then hopefully sold. Also sowed 384 cells (128 per flat) of Parris Island lettuce seeds. I want to interplant them among a bunch of Early Wonder tomato plants that are already growing.

Hopefully, if the USPS and UPS cooperates, tomorrow I will have about 2800 tomato seeds and the media to sow them in. I figure this will take a couple of evenings. One seed per horticube.

I love this season, almost as much as summer!

Mike

I believe it's Et tu, Bruteus (my wife just corrected you wordwiz). Don't know,little care on that but wow what a production you got going. I'm probally doing about 1% of that. I can't imagine the transplanting of that many. Have any odd balls or ones that become your pet plants for the year?

that would take forever unless your using rockwool. I dont mind transplanting a few of my babies but it gets old real quick.

2,800 tomato seeds? I take it you sell them?? That would be a lot of canning! We had over 150 one year...and i canned and canned and canned. :crazy: Is it an array of types?

We have about 100 roma's in the process of germination now.

Good luck to you this season!

I can't imagine the transplanting of that many. Have any odd balls or ones that become your pet plants for the year?

I won't transplant them except for setting them out in the field.

that would take forever unless your using rockwool. I dont mind transplanting a few of my babies but it gets old real quick.

Using horticubes, which is probably a hair quicker than rockwool.

2,800 tomato seeds? I take it you sell them?? That would be a lot of canning! We had over 150 one year...and i canned and canned and canned. :crazy: Is it an array of types?

We have about 100 roma's in the process of germination now.

Good luck to you this season!

I hope to sell about 800 plants, the rest will be for my garden. Farmers Market, Roadside Stand, selling to restaurants and delis and even a discount produce store (wholesale) at as much as 1200 lbs. per week.

Unfortunately, the seeds did not arrive today.

Mike

Once again, shock and awe sets in with the production of some of you characters!

For me, I've got some cool weather broccoli, parsley, lettuce, peas, beeets, and onions well underway.

Two week old San Marzanos, Grape, Virginia Sweet and Early Girl tomatoes. Also Millioniare eggplant, some experimental okra, oregano, basil, dill just to see how it grows.

Thanks again for reminding me peas can be started indoors. Got one batch in the ground, another waiting for the rain/snow mix to clear.

Now, only problem is the continuing La Nina effect. It is setting up exactly as last year, with a really cool / wet March and prediction of a slow start for prime pepper / tomato growin.... About a month delay if it plays like last year. Dang.

Back