• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Little Pepper-Gravy Contest

*** UPDATE: POLL CLOSED, RESULT AT THE END WAS A 3-WAY TIE. STAY TUNED FOR A BIGGER/BETTER PRIZE BOX! ***

biscuits-and-gravy-it-s-still-a-wonderfull-hangover-cure-demotivational-poster-1258309025.jpg

Danielle tells me all the time that biscuits gravy, or pepper gravy, or peppercorn béchamel "is mostly just flour and water" ... but she never makes it, and I don't know the 1st thing about making it!

I like Biscuits and Gravy, but rarely eat it because it's a relatively unhealthy breakfast. That said, on occasion, I want to be able to whip up some killer pepper-gravy ...

I could find a recipe on the Internet and begin to iterate on it, but then I'd have to consume a half-dozen sub-par instances before I'd get a rockin' plate ...

That's where ya'll come in!

Who's got the most bangin' pepper gravy? ...

Up for grabs is a prize box including a pack of Benton's bacon and enough dry-goods from our pantry to fill the space of a box around the bacon ...

BigB turned me on to Benton's a while ago and it's been delightful. I've used the rendered fat time time again to impart a somewhat indescribable smoked flavor to vegetable, wok dinners, burgers - you name it!

The pack up for grabs is perfect for the person who wants to retain the fat, as it's the 3rd fattiest pack of the 4x that I received. The fattiest pack will be used to make bacon fat to give to a friend of mine, the least fatty pack is what I'm keeping to eat, and the 2nd leanest pack already headed off to Waffle Bum.

I'll update the thread as we go, there aren't any rules as per my usual, it will be a popularity contest as voted by multiple choice poll, and there will be at least 72 additional hours from the announcement of the conclusion of the contest window, before it's over.

PoL (Proof of Life) is $0.39 ... anyone who posted current cuisine before this was applied to the contest (~4PM on 6/20) is grandfathered in.

What I want to know is - who's got the ill nasty biscuit gravy?

obama.gif

* Sorry expat's, this one's for US locations only, but feel free to enter for the title, and we can get the prize off to AnySoldier ...

** HI and AK winner's will assume responsibility for whether or not the bacon is fit for consumption after transit from sunny Sarasota, FL ...

grantmichaels said:
BigB turned me on 

I'm sure I did, but I make some pretty damn good B&G so I'll get you even wetter with what's to come hot stuff ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
Best sausage gravy I ever had, had rosemary in it. Love biscuits n gravy. Two sunny side up eggs on top please.

Let me know if I won.

Best B&G I ever had was at a place down here called jimmy's diner. It was frequented a lot by Maurice Gibb and well...it probably killed him too (heart failure).  I'd tell you their secret but well...i'm going to utilize it. Anyways, I like to put rosemary in by biscuits for B&G 

also, why does obama have 1 black and 1 white hand?

A rosemary fan, yes! To me the key is making it not feel heavy. Biscuits must be fluffy, gravy must be creamy but not starchy. 

Rosemary in the biscuits is good but so is cheddar/jalapeno and rosemary in the gravy. Sage and other aromatics I am sure are also great. They help break up that heaviness as well by cutting through.

Do your thing!

I'm on the phone w/ Mr Benton ...
OK, so, here's the deal on the longevity - right from the source ...

The bacon will last ~3-6 months out of the fridge (like, when in transit, or at your house), and will remain optimal for 6-9 months in the fridge ...

I'm going to keep it refrigerated during the contest, and then it's OK for it to warm back up for a 2nd journey to one of you ...

I wasn't sure whether or not it would be best to keep it warm these next two weeks, or to keep it refrigerated ...

Bacon is safe to change temps, and to ship a 2nd time =)

Due diligence ... check.
image.jpg

keDocOH.jpg

betty-draper-francis-gravy.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
I'll try to post mine as well.

Grant are you going to try every recipe posted? 

No, the whole point was to avoid iterations on my end ...

I'm going to try the one or two that appeal the most to me =)

BigB said:
I'm sure I did, but I make some pretty damn good B&G so I'll get you even wetter with what's to come hot stuff ;)

Best B&G I ever had was at a place down here called jimmy's diner. It was frequented a lot by Maurice Gibb and well...it probably killed him too (heart failure).  I'd tell you their secret but well...i'm going to utilize it. Anyways, I like to put rosemary in by biscuits for B&G 
also, why does obama have 1 black and 1 white hand?
Not staying alive staying alive not staying aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sorry

IM IN!!!!!!!

grantmichaels said:
* Sorry expat's, this one's best if left CONUS, but feel free to enter for the title, and we can get the prize off to AnySoldier ...

AK and HI will cost the same if using the post office, I think. CONUS is the 48... so jus sayin! ;)
And an expat means they left the US... lol..... 

The Hot Pepper said:

AK and HI will cost the same if using the post office, I think. CONUS is the 48... so jus sayin! ;)

Yeah, I'm being tiny bit cautious about time spent in transit in terms of heat and rancidness ... only because I don't know the transit times to HI and AK ...

If anyone's there and wants to enter, though, PM me ... otherwise, it's for mainland dude's and dudette's ...

The no rules means that if someone wants to come and enter some seitan gravy, that's fine ...

If someone wants make gravy and ladle it over meringue, that's fine, too ...

The people will vote and the cream will come from the wisdom of the crowd, if you will ...

Here, I'll fix it instead ... just for Boss ...

Oh they have to make it? Thought it was a recipe content.

Not very clear lol.

I think SF is posting a recipe too lol.

I won't post my recipe then. I thought you were looking for recipes to try.

Carry on!

Back