• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Little Pepper-Gravy Contest

*** UPDATE: POLL CLOSED, RESULT AT THE END WAS A 3-WAY TIE. STAY TUNED FOR A BIGGER/BETTER PRIZE BOX! ***

biscuits-and-gravy-it-s-still-a-wonderfull-hangover-cure-demotivational-poster-1258309025.jpg

Danielle tells me all the time that biscuits gravy, or pepper gravy, or peppercorn béchamel "is mostly just flour and water" ... but she never makes it, and I don't know the 1st thing about making it!

I like Biscuits and Gravy, but rarely eat it because it's a relatively unhealthy breakfast. That said, on occasion, I want to be able to whip up some killer pepper-gravy ...

I could find a recipe on the Internet and begin to iterate on it, but then I'd have to consume a half-dozen sub-par instances before I'd get a rockin' plate ...

That's where ya'll come in!

Who's got the most bangin' pepper gravy? ...

Up for grabs is a prize box including a pack of Benton's bacon and enough dry-goods from our pantry to fill the space of a box around the bacon ...

BigB turned me on to Benton's a while ago and it's been delightful. I've used the rendered fat time time again to impart a somewhat indescribable smoked flavor to vegetable, wok dinners, burgers - you name it!

The pack up for grabs is perfect for the person who wants to retain the fat, as it's the 3rd fattiest pack of the 4x that I received. The fattiest pack will be used to make bacon fat to give to a friend of mine, the least fatty pack is what I'm keeping to eat, and the 2nd leanest pack already headed off to Waffle Bum.

I'll update the thread as we go, there aren't any rules as per my usual, it will be a popularity contest as voted by multiple choice poll, and there will be at least 72 additional hours from the announcement of the conclusion of the contest window, before it's over.

PoL (Proof of Life) is $0.39 ... anyone who posted current cuisine before this was applied to the contest (~4PM on 6/20) is grandfathered in.

What I want to know is - who's got the ill nasty biscuit gravy?

obama.gif

* Sorry expat's, this one's for US locations only, but feel free to enter for the title, and we can get the prize off to AnySoldier ...

** HI and AK winner's will assume responsibility for whether or not the bacon is fit for consumption after transit from sunny Sarasota, FL ...

sirex said:
Yeah man. It sucked. She's two. Going for the recheck. Happened two weeks ago. She all good now though!!! Arm is on light duty for the next two weeks though.

Glad she's better bro.  Does the graffiti tat inside your right arm say 'unstable'?  lol if so!  :)

Tied up across the board w/ 2 votes ea!

If there's no winner, I'm going to open the thread up to more entries.

I almost hope nobody votes, because I really wanted to give this thread more attention - but I took some time away while I was staycationing last weekend ...

In other news, FreeportBum, I'm interested in mumz chicken-fried ingredients/techniques still if you get a chance, as well as your sourdough biscuit recipe from last weekend ... no hurry.

I was just talking sous vide w/ Booma (pause to enjoy that ........................... ok) and I was describing a breakfast burger I've had in my mind for a while ... thinking about sous vide the burger patties, and then give them the schnitzel treatment, and have them between those sourdough biscuits w/ melted gruyere, a runny sous vide egg, some Benton's, and some bacon-onion jam as the condiment ...

OK, cool. It was a tie. No winner. Poll deleted.

I'm going to increase the pot.

Let me poke around a little bit tomorrow and then I'll update the OP and we'll fire this bad boy back up ...

Back