• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Mega 2016 grow

Ok folks, I'm making my own soil and heres what I got
#1. 4.4cu ft of Peat Moss
#2. 2cu ft top soil
#3. 1cu ft mushroom compost
#4. .75 cu ft steer manure composted
#5. 1 cu ft chicken manure
#6. 1 large bag of perlite
#7. 2 small bags of vermiculite
#8. 1 small bag of dolimite lime
#9. Fetilome HydroStretch Soil amendment for less watering.

This is my first time creating my own soil and I need thoughts on the mix I will be creating. Also I need to know how much of each to add in to make a large batch? Thanks for your input and your time! Happy 4th weekend everybody! ☺☝

Good to see you back in action, Jon!

Good luck getting your soil mix dialed in,
And those pods look great.

As for mixing soil, all I've done is the old
peatmoss, compost, and perlite (or pumice),
One-third each, so I'm not much help.

Nice plants!!!good to see you back Jon.Of course I stay updated on your posts elsewhere I just dont post much there but everything is looking good.I didnt see worm castings on your mix list but Im sure you have that covered.Good to see you on this side once in awhile.GOOD LUCK!!!!

FiresOfNil said:
Very cool, what cultivars are you growing? Also your mix looks pretty good - what's its PH?
Chocolate BBG7 x4
Chocolate Brainstrain
Cornish Naga
Yellow 7 Pot Primo x2
Aji Fantasy
Urfa Bieber x4
Bishops Crown
Jalapeno
Anaheim
Bhut x Jalapeno
BTR x3
Brazilian Ghost x Moruga x4
Red Ghost Scorpion x2
Yellow 7 Pot Lava
Red Primo
Chocolate Bhutlah
Yellow Nagabrain
BBM x2
Purple UFO x2
Ghost Pepper x4
BBG7 x Reaper
Chocolate Madballz
Red Lava
and several Mysteries that will be some that I listed above haha
mpicante said:
Nice plants!!!good to see you back Jon.Of course I stay updated on your posts elsewhere I just dont post much there but everything is looking good.I didnt see worm castings on your mix list but Im sure you have that covered.Good to see you on this side once in awhile.GOOD LUCK!!!!
Thank you and thanks for commenting!
Im actually going to be exchanging the chicken manure for worm castings today and possibly picking up some bat guano in addition. We will see. I'm going to be giving my plants a tea for the first time, later on this month. Thats the plan anyhow lol

Here's the shopping list! Haha
I decided to swap the chicken poop for worm castings
I also didnt use everything, I had a bale of peat moss and about half to 3/4 of everything else leftover. Heres the stash unmixed.

Heres the stash mixed.I think I shoulda added a bit more perlite but it hasnt been very wet here and I can always add more later if need be

Here's all the plants I potted up today during the project and I still have soil left over haha

This Aji Fantasy had some nice roots!

Mix looks great. I made my own a couple of seasons ago. Peat moss, compost, perlite. I use the same soil over and over again, every year. Last year I added some composted wood chips. Every season I dump it out on a tarp. I then add more compost and perlite as needed. Composted manure as well. It's a very airy mix. Need to ad some top soil next year, so things don't dry out as fast. I mix in some garden tone or Jobes organic fertilizer, when I pot up. Then I use it as a top dressing through out the season. Some compost tea once a month and we're in business. Don't get the salt build up like I did, when using some of the liquid hydro nutes. Roots are looking nice and healthy. Those plants are going to explode in growth.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Chuck

Thanks for the comment Chuck. Yes, I'm going to be brewing some teas for the first time as well. Everybody seems to rave about the teas and for a good reason! I agree, the top soil should make the soil to where it doesnt dry out as quickly. My buddy Mike Hess was telling me to add something so that it absorbes the excess salts from ferts, I cant remember what he called it though, I will have to get back to you about that! The Mycos makes a big difference with the roots! That stuff is like gold haha. I will be sure to drop by on your page here shortly.

moruga welder said:
glad to see you back in the swing my friend !  great looking grow you gat going ,  soil mix sounds good to me !   Hoping for a great grow / summer for you !      :onfire:
Thanks a bunch bud! Yeah I'm hoping so my friend. I'm anxious to start trying the tea! Temps have been pretty low around here lately, so I'm hoping the weather turns around here shortly. Were getting 60's and low 70's this week with at least 3 days of rain, which is good for flowering and pod setting but not so much for plant growth, which is what I need more at the moment. I hope you have an awesome grow yr as well. Have a great 4th of July!
FiresOfNil said:
Nice roots and grow list! I am thinking of doing BBG's next year with how good things have gone this year
Thank you! You cant go wrong with Mycos for the roots! In all honesty the BBG7 chocolate is my most productive variety thus far! Even my little guy is flowering. I strongly suggest adding it to next seasons list. Thanks for checking out my glog and hope you have a nice grow this yr and Happy 4th as well.

Your soil mix looks great, Jon, should work like a charm for you.

Your line-up of plants is awesome - that's quite a list - a nice variety
of heat levels.

PaulG said:
Your soil mix looks great, Jon, should work like a charm for you.

Your line-up of plants is awesome - that's quite a list - a nice variety
of heat levels.
Thank you Paul! Yeah, I actually had to many plants under my 250 watt CFL light. Unfortunately I had to toss some plants this yr.I actually had to add some additional perlite because it was a bit light. I hope it does well! The mix is light and fluffy and still retains water pretty well. That was my only knock on the Pro Mix is that the soil dries out to fast. I talked to some folks and they said they used a combo of Pro Mix and Fox Farms. Which seems to be a good combo. I hope you enjoy your 4th of July my friend.☺

If you baby them, they'll never grow up. LoL

All kidding aside the plants look good. Interesting Reaper cross.

I was just looking at Jukka's seeds for sale and he has a few Reaper crosses. Habenero, Brown, Peach, and yellow Scorpion, I think. Trying to see if he'll send me some seeds.

Thanks for sharing

Haha, they were begging for light. Thank you my chili friend! I think its a pretty cool cross! I will have to overwinter it to get any pods this yr I'm pretty sure, especially with the low temps and rain we've been getting lately. One dude I know is growing Jala-Reaper, which is interesting. Im curious to see how the pods turn out for my BBG7xReaper. As for my Yellow Primo the bud clusters are amazing! There's a cluster of about 8 buds in the center of the Y fork on both plants. Lemme post a pic.

Back