The new worm bin is finished.

Mixed up 65 gallons of Diestel structured compost with some kelp meal, neem cake, Gaia green rock dust and 5/16" red lava rock and put it in this 65 gallon Smart Pot.
Now to just keep it moist and watch the pound of worms multiply.

anyone ever convert an aquarium to a worm farm?

would be cool to see them doing their thing... after all they leave cavities behind like ants do they not?

How are you going to get the castings out of that 65 gallon smart pot?  Do you stack another pot on top and have the worms move up?  Also, will the worms escape over the top if the enviro gets too acidic or you forget to feed them?  I wonder, as I just started a worm bin myself.  i used Larry Hall's method with a 5 ga. food service bucket, sifted peat, and now I am just waiting on the arrival of the little critters called African Night Crawlers.  I imagine you are following someone's prior success with this method?  

thanks,

Jim

Eeeeeeee! said:
How are you going to get the castings out of that 65 gallon smart pot?  Do you stack another pot on top and have the worms move up?  Also, will the worms escape over the top if the enviro gets too acidic or you forget to feed them?  I wonder, as I just started a worm bin myself.  i used Larry Hall's method with a 5 ga. food service bucket, sifted peat, and now I am just waiting on the arrival of the little critters called African Night Crawlers.  I imagine you are following someone's prior success with this method?  

thanks,

Jim
Jim, I am going to make one of these.

Redworm castings / compost table sifter:

Good work, I like what you are doing, but would plants not just grow fine in your ingredients anyway? Sounds like some good stuff you have mixed up..

I had no idea what Diestel compost was so I googled it, looks like pretty good stuff anyway. I personally cant see the point of turning it into something else to then amend your soil with. Why not just amend your soil with it as is? Will the plants really benefit that much?

Am very willing to learn!
cheers 

Thats a cool idea PMD but are you going to put a pan or tray under that to catch any of the liquid gold runoff? Or are you not planning to keep it that moist? I've been looking into vermicompost but haven't taken the final step yet. This looks like something i could get into. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

nzchili said:
Good work, I like what you are doing, but would plants not just grow fine in your ingredients anyway? Sounds like some good stuff you have mixed up..

I had no idea what Diestel compost was so I googled it, looks like pretty good stuff anyway. I personally cant see the point of turning it into something else to then amend your soil with. Why not just amend your soil with it as is? Will the plants really benefit that much?

Am very willing to learn!
cheers 
Vermicompost is superior to compost nzchili and that is why I am letting the worms convert great compost into even greater EWC.
You could do the same thing pretty much with composted chicken manure. Yes the Diestel compost alone would be good enough but I want the best. ;)
As someone who I consider my mentor said to me:

"KIS (then called SimpliciTea) was behind the photography of microbes in Teaming With Microbes. They were the first to offer AACT units to the general public. Very involved in the actual science on this technology.

About 4 years ago one of the owners contacted them about looking at their poultry manure which they did. The microbe activity on their compost was off the chart - one of the best that they had tested and I'm talking about 'compost' and not simply 'poultry manure'

You hit the jackpot - seriously. You couldn't hope, wish or dream for a better material and especially for worm bins. I'd use it in a second if it were available in Portland. I'd use it as part of the humus component in my potting soils as well.

You're well on your way to hitting your goals!"

Hawaiianero said:
Thats a cool idea PMD but are you going to put a pan or tray under that to catch any of the liquid gold runoff? Or are you not planning to keep it that moist? I've been looking into vermicompost but haven't taken the final step yet. This looks like something i could get into. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
No there is no runoff and it's not as good as people say I hear anyhow. The soil will be kept moist but in a fabric bag it will not collect moisture like a plastic container would.
This is going to become quite a bit of work later though because the worm population will become so large that I will need a second 65 gallon container and then a third.
That is when I will have to start selling worms somehow. Haven't thought that far ahead. I am making this EWC mainly for my special plants but most everything will get some of it if I have as much as my friend told me as this is how he does it.

Back