• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The One-Stop Pepper Identification List

Just figured I'd start this since it didn't seem anything was sticky'd like this, and although I'm a new member and don't want to start shouting demands like a veteran of the forum, I figured this can easily be a thread to sticky with some help.

Since I have a ton of seeds that came from peppers, of what type I have no clue, I was going to look through and start viewing pics. However, there are a lot of threads of people requesting identification of certain types of peppers. Having all names and pictures for reference in one post seems like a smart idea.

So, post whatever you want, pictures with names above them and heat level (Mild, Medium, Hot, Superhot seems a simple scale to go by) so that people like myself, or anyone else who is stumped by a pepper they received or a seed that grew peppers they have never seen before, can easily go through here in hopes to find a match. If there's already a forum like this, then I apologize for the duplicate, but if not, let's see how big of a monster thread we can start.

FCon :cool:

Ah-HA! Well, so much for making a possibly sticky thread and giving this web site a little more traffic to hopefully get advertising money off of :P

Oh wow! Haha. I think the problem with trying this FCon is that there are literally THOUSANDS of different varieties, and quite simply it's impossible to tell from a picture what pod you have. If you are looking to search through a database to find the pepper you are looking for you can try this:

http://www.thechileman.org/search.php

There is also a subforum on the chillisgalore.co.uk forum that reviews individual pod types. THAT is something I'd be very interested in seeing around here! It's always nice to have an expert around here take a look at your pods/plant and take a solid guess as to what you have too.

Thanks Mrz, but I think also what I was trying to go for here, is the fact that I can look (and am currently looking) at these sites, but they have more scientific names and less of the slang that I think is most commonly used around here. Sure there are thousands of varities but most people here grow the more specific types it seems. So I didn't mean let's start a 1000 variety post, but typical things, i.e. the basic superhots with or without true strains, mediums, milds, hots, etc. Perfect example, I'm looking at the first link that Naga posted, and I cannot find "Black Pearl" pictures, although there are other things like Black Scorpion Tongues (which look awesome, and that's news to me as well), but point remains that maybe it's not always called Black Pearl peppers and are called something else. So it could make it easier to post pictures just for people to look at, whereas those sites are more for if you already know the name of a pepper and want to verify its appearance.

...if my reasoning makes sense at all, lol.

Also I should mention, chileman's website shows Bih and Bhut Jolokias as the hottest, and Trini 7 pots and Scorpions as only "Outrageously Hot". Aren't they hotter than both Bhut and Bih? :banghead:

I think that makes sense. It's just hard as hell to make it simpler than scanning through a database. I think the wealth of expertise on this forum on a case-to-case basis is better than searching through a database on your own.

And the chileman website is incorrect on that. The Bhut and Bih Jolokias average much lower than the Trini varieties. I would say fairly definitively that the hottest strains in the world are the Butch T, TSMB/Brain Strain, Douglah, and Brown 7s. I don't think we'll be able to narrow that list down anytime soon, but those strains have the hottest yielding genetics. Unfortunately that site is a bit outdated.

I already knew what a black pearl was, I was just using it as an example that I only found out about it from other threads on here. thanks though.

note: you can find a lot of pictures of whole pods, and cross sections of pods....mostly exotic superhots...if you do a search for the name of the pod and cmpman1974...chris takes a lot of great pictures and posts them in his grow logs...

but you have to know a name of the pepper before you know where to look...

what you are really wanting is a "key" to pepper pod identification and I don't think one exists...pictures of pods alone don't tell much of a story...

Back