The Pepper King

Well I posted this story on another one of my posts but there has been more development. So for a little background...

A few weeks ago I went on a mens retreat with my church and it was awesome on so many levels. Anyways one of the men and I talked about peppers and my gardening for a long time while 7 other conversations were taking place in the same cabin. Well last week I find out that the Sunday on Sept. 18 that very man got infront of the congregation and started talking about the experience at the mens retreat and said "I didn't realize we had a pepper king in our midst." Then the pastor came up and said "this is very true. If you would like anything hot, Wayne is the one to see." So now forward to last Wednesday (Sept. 28) and as I am at our night service and sitting with the pastor he tells me about the above story and then says "I figured you wouldn't mind that I told everyone that."(I wasn't in church that day they mentioned all of that) I say "Oh no not at all but thanks for the warning...lol"

So yesterday at church one of the other men asks me "Would you like to donate any hot sauce or salsa for the church auction?" I sadly had to decline because I do not have anything made and my gardens this year were not at all designed for my sauces or salsas. Well it seems like I have built up a bit of interest in the church to make this happen and even the pastor was like "We need to get some publicity for this stuff" and he hasn't even had any of it yet...lol Anyway I did explain to the guy who asked if I would be interested in the donation that this year wasn't going to be able to happen but that next year I will be all over it.

I also had plans on playing with some BBQ recipes over winter so that come spring/summer I will be armed with some nice sass. ;) I am toying around with using "The Pepper King" as another label. For those who know me well enough know that I have a label I have created last year and am still working on called "Crazy Eight Sauces". Still not sure if I should keep that or switch to "Crazy Eight Creations" but that's another issue for me to figure out. I will be keeping the "Crazy Eight" label but then maybe do "The Pepper King" for some BBQ Sauce recipes, or what I am going to call "The Pepper King BBQ Sass". Im thinking of having some non spicy ones but maybe having them be different levels of spiciness. So that's kind of the idea I am flirting with. Crazy Eight hot sauce and salsa in addition to The Pepper King BBQ Sauces.

With the church behind me and giving me the friendly push and a means to get my stuff out there seems like a great opportunity and perhaps get into the game with some of you other folks to selling my products. Sure I wouldn't quit my day job but I enjoy doing this sauce/salsa stuff and if other people enjoy it then I find a lot of pride and pleasure in that. :D

Hey it's all good. I know the importance of grandparents. I lost my grand father this year and sadly my grand mother isn't far behind. The "TPK" stamp is actually darker than it looks. Actually let me reword that. The stamp actually prints a little darker then it is in the graphic. I'm not 100% sure but one theory I do have is that I'm achieving how it looks making it 25% transparent. Maybe what I should do is actually use a color? I have noticed when it prints it almost has kind of a metallic look, its very hard to explain, rather than the grey color it seems to have looking at the graphic. So right now it just sounds like I may need to do some playing with the "TPK" stamp and getting the desired appearance and obviously make sure it can be seen without being to strong.

Thanks for the idea and criticism on this. Im still waiting for my logo but the person doing it works with me and is getting into a new home with his now fiance and goes to school so he just hasn't had the time to do much with it. But ensures me its going to look awesome. I told him, I know it will because I expect nothing less and wont accept nothing less...lol But all kidding aside I know its going to look great once I get the actual logo on here.

Well, I posted but it didn't go through :(. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, I hope he's in a better place. I like the idea of doing a 25% transparent on the logo. I think it would look pretty cool if you did a 10% gradient from left to right in maybe a burnt tan or charcoal black color to simulate burnt hide.

Yeah I kind of thought the same thing since my logo is also going to have that effect. Once I get the logo and put it in place im going to do some burning to make it look like a branding. So maybe it would be only right to do the same to the "TPK" stamp then. Maybe since this weekend is my last weekend before I go enjoy the outdoors and get me a deer, I'll work on that stamp and see what I can do. Whatever I end up doing I need to make sure it isn't so much that it makes it hard to read the text. Well I will see what I whip up and post it back in here for some more great criticism. :)

Well I did work on my label however I was unable to do any "burning" with the TPK mark. Now this could be because of one if not both of two reason. 1. my noobness with Adobe InDesign and 2. That you cant do those types of effects in InDesign, although I don't see why not. I did do some other stuff though. Some of what I did is not of any importance, more or less just stream lining things and organizing. But I did add a drop shadow to "The Pepper King" to make the text pop just a bit. That's the only "effect" I have done though. I am waiting for my logo still and should hopefully have something finally come Wednesday when my co-worker gets back from his trip. I'll be sure to post up my latest pic of the label when I get home tonight.

Well I spent some good quality time with the parents last night and then with the wife when I got home so I did not upload the image but here it is.

ThePepperKing-3.jpg

I REALLY hope I get the logo tomorrow or something to at least look at and get going on that. The rest of the label looks about finished, just need that logo to really tie it all together.

I think it looks really good, hope to see it on a store shelf near me. Speaking of, how much would you charge for a bottle once its ready? :D From all you've said, i'd love to try some. I think with the logo it will tie it all together nicely, the color pattern of the paper you're going to use will look great aswell. Maybe you could tie a small ribbon on the top of the bottle like a bandanna, that'd add some Southwestern twang to the bottle aswell and a nice marketing strategy.

Well it might be a while before that happens but I would be more than happy to send you a bottle. :) I haven't figured out what the cost/bottle would be yet because originally this was just going to be for personal consumption, handing out to friends and family, and donating to the church auction once a year. I already have an idea what I want to do to the top of the bottle but I haven't disclosed it yet. I gotta keep a few secrets. I will say this though. Its a new twist to something that has been done before. I think its going to look very cool.

As of yesterday I have a logo. Its not finished but pretty close and it looks great. Not exactly what I was thinking but it does look good and is label worthy so I think it will work. Once completed I will be sure to add it in here for you all to see.

Nope not yet. Still waiting on that logo. Kind of getting to be a bit of a bummer for it to be going on this long. Thank goodness hes a coworker and I can hound him every week about it but I also know that hes busy with his fiance and getting their new home ready to move into . As of February I not only Got married to my lovely wife but we both also became first time homeowners so I know what hes going through time wise. I would really like to see it get done though. Maybe in the upcoming weeks. I will be sure to keep you all posted when I have it. You will be the first to know, after my wife of course...lol

Looks cool, I wonder if it is better adapted to cooler growing temps, being from Korea?
Googled "Korean king pepper" and a result I found was a page for a Chinese seed producer. Their Chinese name for this variety translates to "Korean sky-facing king", "sky-facing" being the same phrase that is transliterated as "chao tian jiao" for the name of the Chinese hot pepper variety.

I wonder if this is more similar to the Japanese "hot claw" variety, or the Chinese "chao tian jiao" which both have mirasol fruit, but different eating properties I think.

Back