• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The perfect qualitys of the perfect pepper potting mix

I found a place called Pro Grow that puts together planting mixes for professional nurserys. I talked with a guy there and told him of my project , he said he had a couple of mixes that would work or he could custom make a mix according to my needs. His current mixes sell for like $46 per yard. So here's my question what is it that the perfect pepper potting mix needs to provide? What is it that make peppers happy. I'm looking for some of you old hands with tons of experience at growing out peppers in pots. This place is well respected with all the major nurserys and I'm intrigued by their ability to make it the way I want it right down to the PH so what things should I look for in a good mix?

082.jpg
081.jpg

Someone once said that with the right ferts you can grow a pepper plant in a bucket of rocks.

That said, I think there are two schools of thought - the big chunky soil, and the finer grit soil...

All I know is the second group, and in fact, on another forum a friend of mine is having trouble with damping off because of his use of the first type. That said, the people that use it well, do great things.

They are both the same grow media. I do use bagged potting mix in smaller pots.

"What is it that make peppers happy"

Air at the roots.

They are both the same grow media. I do use bagged potting mix in smaller pots.

"What is it that make peppers happy"

Air at the roots.

So air at the roots, good drainage yet the ability to hold some water, not compact but loose .. sound good ? Anything else ? How about amendments to feed? This guy told me to tell him what I was looking for in qualitys instead of what I wanted in it? How about earthworm castings or manures or compost, maybe Micro fungi just throwing stuff out here as I have no experience with this.

I believe I would check out the ingredients list on a bag of Pro Mix HP and see if I could match it. Plus some hardwood chips.

Everyone's has different mediums depending on where they live. I use a compost soil with pine bark. Living in Florida I can get away with using a soil that holds on moisture better than you northern growers. You should make your own soil. That seems way too expensive too me. Here is a good link about soil .Oh and plus one on the mycorrhiza.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0214580016564.html?70

Thanks ! $46 per yard is too expensive? Not sure how I could make it cheaper. And I agree on the Mycorrhiza ; )

Everyone's has different mediums depending on where they live. I use a compost soil with pine bark. Living in Florida I can get away with using a soil that holds on moisture better than you northern growers. You should make your own soil. That seems way too expensive too me. Here is a good link about soil .Oh and plus one on the mycorrhiza.

http://forums2.garde...0016564.html?70

Pro growers words right there.

+1

Dirt....yep I use dirt, maybe some manure and a bit of whatever potting mix churned though....but mostly dirt. I found that with nearly every potting mix I've tried, plants shoot up - then turn all shabby and sick. Dirt filled pots...6 months later and the plants are still happy. I use worm catings and a bit of seaweed fert ever now and then.

My best plants however are grown in garden beds and fed with worm castings, composted manure ans seaweed fert.

tallcongo.jpg

2011-11-29063034.jpg

Back