• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

I've only has the cheap dried ramen noodles. I doctor it best I can with mushrooms, green onion and pepper powder but it's nothing compared to that. I can't even say I've seena ramen joint around here. Closest is noodles pho

Here's another one. Easily one of my favorites and is a whole in the wall joint that is literally just a single bar counter. Place is called Ito in Akabane, which is a city in Northern Tokyo. If you ever find yourself in Tokyo, this is a place worth seeking out!

Soup base is chicken + dried sardines; a gyokai style ramen. Keeping it simple with thin noodles and a dash of chopped scallions. The noodles are similar to Hakata style ramen, but a tad thicker.

This particular bowl is their Niku Soba, which is just their standard bowl topped off with some chashu pork.

10914658_1577527002461653_515908447_n.jpg

D3monic said:
I've only has the cheap dried ramen noodles. I doctor it best I can with mushrooms, green onion and pepper powder but it's nothing compared to that. I can't even say I've seena ramen joint around here. Closest is noodles pho

Mmmm Pho. At least you got that! Maybe if you dig around you can find a ramen joint in Chicago area that you can hit up next time you are in the area?

Also instant ramen + extras is what most people do at home here too! Chicken Ramen by Nissin is easily one of my favorites. Can be eaten straight out of the package as a snack (though probably a bit salty for most folks), and all you need is hot water to fix a bowl up. We always crack an egg (fresh mind you!) into the little pocket before topping off with boiled water and letting it set covered for a few. Then serve with some diced scallions. Simple and effective!

D3monic said:
As a kid I would eat the noodle brick raw with the powder sprinkled on top. Lol kids these days. Lazy as ever.

LOL me too! My 2nd grade teacher used to have a "store" where we could spend "money" that we accumulated in class. Used to save up and by little ramen packs as a snack. These days its way too salty for me though.

Pho, there is a very good place for Pho here in Salem. I've been a few times. I just don't get it. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

Do you know of any good Ramen places in Oregon?

There is a nice Japanese place here in Salem, run by Koreans (according to my mother. My parents lived in Japan a few years long before I was born.) They do have very good Yakisoba. I hear their Sushi is quite good as well, but I'd never know; seafood, gag. Fish; gag. Well, very occasionally a nice wild salmon, but very rarely.

Pho, there is a very good place for Pho here in Salem. I've been a few times. I just don't get it. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

Do you know of any good Ramen places in Oregon?

There is a nice Japanese place here in Salem, run by Koreans (according to my mother. My parents lived in Japan a few years long before I was born.) They do have very good Yakisoba. I hear their Sushi is quite good as well, but I'd never know; seafood, gag. Fish; gag. Well, very occasionally a nice wild salmon, but very rarely.
Phố can be a hit or miss with many people. As can the different varieties of ramen. If one type doesn't suit you, try a different one! ;-)

Sadly I've not been to Oregon,but a quick google search suggests Yuzu in Beaverton is quite the deal. Judging from the pics I'd say it looks pretty good. Feel like taking a road trip? lol

I should also note that pho can be done right or wrong. So there's that too.

My contribution to this awesome thread.

20150119_073819.jpg

I usually doctor it up with some ghost powder, chicken and steamed broccoli in an attempt to make it somewhat less unhealthy. :rofl:

Back in the states, that is oddly enough my favorite one! Many nights were spent in college nuking that in my microwave lol.

I like your take on it better though lol

Anthony Bourdain did a show in Japan that was mostly about ramen. All the different kinds looked so good. He also went to the restaurant owned by the chef who is known as the father of ramen or something.

That show kinda made me miss Japan.

filmost said:
Back in the states, that is oddly enough my favorite one! Many nights were spent in college nuking that in my microwave lol.

I like your take on it better though lol
I recently made momofuku's ramen spiked ith benton's bacon for the umami in the broth (replacing katsuoboshi). But filmost, can i come live with you? I just want to eat all ramen everywhere! lol

Momofuku sounds like the name of the restaurant.

Ever been there Fil?

That would be David Chang's restaurant in NY. Never been, though I hear great things about it.
I recently made momofuku's ramen spiked ith benton's bacon for the umami in the broth (replacing katsuoboshi). But filmost, can i come live with you? I just want to eat all ramen everywhere! lol

Better idea, spend a month traveling from Hokkaido all the way down to Okinawa on a ramen pilgrimage ;-) talk about an epic trip!
Anthony Bourdain did a show in Japan that was mostly about ramen. All the different kinds looked so good. He also went to the restaurant owned by the chef who is known as the father of ramen or something.

That show kinda made me miss Japan.

Ah yeah I saw that one, he had the miso ramen made with crab. Hokkaido style miso ramen is truly delicious. Need to go find a bowl sometime.
I saw that too, and it made we want to go to Japan.

You totally should! I told scovie if he ever visits that we would get the Tokyo THP crew out for food n drinks. Offer stands for anyone here ;-) even the picky vegetarians and vegans lol.

We met up woth Neil when he was here back in December. Was good times!

hell, cooking with ramen as an ingredient is a valuable skill to have in... undesirable times.

Language warning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sv4nb5VbAY

LOL
To hell with the vegetarian stuff.  I want all that fresh seafood!

Mmm seafood. They have lots of it, but to be honest I miss oysters and mussels which are hard to come by here. No clue why! Also they can tend to be rather pricy.

filmost said:
Phố can be a hit or miss with many people. As can the different varieties of ramen. If one type doesn't suit you, try a different one! ;-) Sadly I've not been to Oregon,but a quick google search suggests Yuzu in Beaverton is quite the deal. Judging from the pics I'd say it looks pretty good. Feel like taking a road trip? lol I should also note that pho can be done right or wrong. So there's that too.
Thanks, I get to Portland every so often and Beaverton is not that far away from there.

I'm told by Phố enthusiasts that it is quite good at that place. Just doesn't move me. Well, if we all liked the same things, the lines would be really long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back