• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

Your going down a rabbit hole but it's so good!! Clean out cabinet and fridge space for condiments, you're gonna need it.

I consider myself a rookie and add what I like or google helps with ideas. You can start with the basics and go from there. 

I'd say basic pantry items are
hot sesame oil
good fish sauce
hoisin
soy
chili paste and chili oil
my last condiment that I'm hooked on is fried garlic, the Asian stores sell it cheap.

Fridge items are
cilantro
onions
mushrooms
fresh peppers
baby bok choy if you can find it
5 minute boiled egg or a good fried egg is always nice

Watch a few food vloggers and get ideas and recipes. I don't cook authentic dishes but it doesn't matter, they're good so play around and have fun eating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ca0pbEp6Hs&t=546s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfST0msgn8Q

...continued 

GwefoNt.jpg
nice rich Pork broth and veggies ready, just need to add the noodles...

vDUxB8Y.jpg
Served;    my attempt at Tonkotsu Ramen with Ajitsuke Tamago Quail eggs  needs bean sprouts for crunch, mushrooms and fried garlic, but it still tasted fantastic  :drooling:

Q3qpHoR.jpg
couple bites in showing the noodles  :)

this was fun and delicious i will be doing something like this again soon 

:cheers:

I have a man crush on Mark Wiens at the moment. He's eating some awesome food in Sri Lanka and I had to try it. The inspiration came from here. 
https://youtu.be/4v9G2ArswUs?t=411

They had rice but I wanted noodles, I started with homemade dough for ramen, I even used baked baking soda to get that texture.

100-4386.jpg

Here's most of the players but I did add a fresh tomato, fish sauce and homemade shrimp stock I had in the freezer. In the bowl is a pack of seafood mix from the store and the plate had onions, green onions, ginger and garlic.
100-4388.jpg

Rolled out some ramen and fettuccine noodles.
100-4390.jpg

Cracked the crab shells to soak in that awesome curry sauce. 
100-4391.jpg

Sauteed the veggies, added the spices, shrimp broth, can of coconut cream and a bag of seafood mix to make a good seafood broth, cooked it for a while to reduce and concentrate the flavors then added the king crab to let them soak that flavor in. The crab legs went in at the last 15 minutes so I didn't turn them into mush.
100-4396.jpg

Made a bowl and started drooling. Topped it with cilantro and green onions, that's Sambal ground chili in the middle for a little kick, it's not hot but has a good flavor.
100-4398.jpg

Side plate with stuffed crab and more king crab to slurp that awesome gravy off of.
100-4399.jpg

Crab and curry is a match made in flavor town.
100-4401.jpg

It's the closest thing you can get to ecstasy.
100-4403.jpg

The stuffed crab with that gravy/broth was amazing.
100-4405.jpg

That's shrimp and clams from the seafood mix on top, It's like a paella in a spoon with curry sauce.
100-4406.jpg

It was a process to get to this point but so worth it, THIS has to be done again but next time I wanna use the biggest shrimp I can find.
100-4407.jpg

I'm ashamed I couldn't eat that lonely crab, I'm blaming it on those two foot long noodles.
100-4408.jpg

Ashen said:
Looks fantastic RG. I have never gotten around to trying the baked baking soda trick. Did you like them better than store-bought?
I like the homemade noodles but it's not practical to pull out the machine for a quick lunch. The baking soda gives it a better chew than regular pasta noodles and it last a while in an airtight jar. I also can't find the thinner noodles here. The yellow color came mostly from the egg yolks, I used 3 country eggs in this batch. I have the rest in the freezer and will see later today how they are after freezing them. It would be nice to make a big batch for later use!!

Edited to add: This is a good read for noodles. https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/11/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-ramen-noodles-at-home.html

Serious eats is pretty great, although they sometimes present opinions as facts and focus on the wrong science.

I made more curry crab last night but had it with rice this time. I used blue crabs, 16-20 count shrimp and a pack of paella seafood mix but dumped the fake crab. This stuff is addictive and a must try. I don't think it's available here in town but I need to check to see if I have the same flavor profile. 

It defines the word Umami!!

It was awesome even if I did forgot the cilantro and green onions on the cutting board.
100_4494.JPG

Rajun Gardener said:
I made more curry crab last night but had it with rice this time. I used blue crabs, 16-20 count shrimp and a pack of paella seafood mix but dumped the fake crab. This stuff is addictive and a must try. I don't think it's available here in town but I need to check to see if I have the same flavor profile. 

It defines the word Umami!!

It was awesome even if I did forgot the cilantro and green onions on the cutting board.
attachicon.gif
100_4494.JPG

is there's ramen in there somewhere? lol

Edit* Never mind, i just scrolled up and saw you made it with ramen previously. I was confused.....like this is a ramen thread but no ramen in this dish haha

Does anyone have recommendations what to use as a seafood broth?  I've been trying different things for the carb curry and it's better when I use a homemade shrimp and crab stock. I also add a bag of the paella mixed seafood which I'm sure helps too but I'd like to find something that I use quicker.

I went to the Asian store and talked to a woman from Vietnam and she told me about a few things to use. First was a crab paste with bean oil, another spicy crab paste and some Salted fish soup bouillon stuff. She said the bouillon stuff is popular in one region over there so it must be good right? She also said Quoc Viet Tamarind Soup Base- Cot Canh Chua is popular to use in seafood soups.
Here's what I bought
Crab-Paste-With-Bean-Oil-Por-Kwan.jpg

40.50027.jpg

quoc_viet_tamarind_soup_base-_cot_canh_chua.png

100_4495.JPG

Rajun Gardener said:
Does anyone have recommendations what to use as a seafood broth?
I wish i could help with an actual recipe but look up jjamppong. It's a Korean spicy seafood noodle soup and is amazing. I could drink that broth like water.

Jjamppong is my personal favorite too when its made right. I haven't been able to get a really good bowl of it around here in years. My homemade is "ok" but i cant seem to nail it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back